Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Exessive shifting while towing Ram Quad 1500 5.7 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007 | 08:05 PM
BIG D 39
Default Exessive shifting while towing Ram Quad 1500 5.7 Hemi

I have a 2005 Quad 4x4 Hemi w/5.7 w/auto tranny. I tow a 4k travel trailer. The truck constantly shifts into low gear on even the slightest grade. My truck has 3.93 rear end and 20" inch tires. I have taken back to dealer numerous times and they cannot find any problems. Right after truck was new we did have a speed sensor go bad in the rear end. Any advice on where to turn for help would be appreciated. I was formerly a truck driver and have towed trailers all my life and the way this is acting is not normal. I am at wits end, any insight on where to turn would make my day!!
Thanks

Old 07-16-2007 | 09:05 PM
crcarch
Professional
Default RE: Exessive shifting while towing Ram Quad 1500 5.7 Hemi

Just to state the obvious, I'm assuming you're using the Tow/Haul setting. I have the same setup and live in a hilly area. I've never had it jump around the gears when hauling, except when I've forgotten to push in the button. If changing the tranny settings doesn't have any affect, something's definetely amiss. Everything's computer controlled, including the tranny.Try resetting the computer by unplugging the negative post for 10 seconds or more and then reconnecting. That will erase the memory and allow it to relearn.

Old 07-17-2007 | 01:28 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

My truck is the same. Since putting in the Jet chip stage 1, shifting has never been a problem.

Old 07-17-2007 | 03:11 PM
Hemi_guy

I have the same problem, what I know from my research is that this is normal. Apparently the tech guys at Dodge felt that manner of shifting would be best. If you buy a hypertech tuner you can change virtually every aspect of shifting andit should solve the problem. Unplugging the negative post is a god idea and may fix the problem as well.

Old 07-17-2007 | 06:24 PM
BIG D 39

Thanks for all the replies,gives me some places to look. Where do you find the jet chip? And also on the hyper tuner is it something I can do or should a mechanic tackle the job. I will start with the unplugging the neg post and see what happens. Thanks

Old 07-19-2007 | 02:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Superchips Flashpaq's "Tow Performance" tune would do wonders for you, besides firming up the tranny shifts, you'll get the added benefits of more horsepower, trouble code reading, tire size recalibration and more.

Quick Reply: Exessive shifting while towing Ram Quad 1500 5.7 Hemi