Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2009 RAM. Worth waiting for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007 | 10:02 AM
HemiDen
|
Rookie
Default 2009 RAM. Worth waiting for?

I am thinking of replacing my F250 with a new 2500 HD QC 5.7L Hemi that I spotted on the lot when we bought my wife's new Durango recently. I've looked at the tidbits of information of the changes coming in 2009 for the RAM. Aside from maybe some sheetmetal changes, it's said the current 5.7L Hemi will be replaced with the 6.1L.I couldn't find any info about a tranny update, but would think a new 5speed -or- 6 speed auto would be in the list of updates too?

Since the 6.1L is in limited production now int he SRT model, it would seema natural step for the RAM line. The most appealing aspect of course is the increased horsepower, but the reports I read also speaks to increased efficiency as well. Our new Durango's 5.7 is a great running and very powerful engine right out of the box. So the question is it worth waiting for the 6.1L or just go for the 5.7L now?

Old 09-03-2007 | 10:08 AM
Bouncer88
All Star
Default RE: 2009 RAM. Worth waiting for?

I heard that the 2009 Ram was going to be able to come with the Cummins in shortbed form, therefore I vote hell ****ing yes.

Only if that is true of course.

Old 09-03-2007 | 02:53 PM
HemiDen
|
Rookie

I think more manufacturers have plans to offer diesels not just in their trucks, but cars as well. As a current diesel owner (my F250), my biggest complaint is the lack of local diesel stations where I live. And while travelling, aside from major highways, finding a diesel station is not as easy as looking towards the next station. Even though I enjoy towing with my F250 (it's a torque monster), I'm ready and willing to give up it's superior towing capability for the convenience and lower miantainence cost of a gas engine. Though many diesel owners will argue the initial cost and maintenance is offeset by the longeivity and more efficiency when pulling heavier loads.

I've resolved myself to the fact that I am ready to part ways with my diesel and move back to a high-performance gasoline engine like Dodge's Hemi. I just have to decide if it's worth it to wait for the 6.1 to arrive...

Old 09-03-2007 | 09:47 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

Well, I'm sure that if you wait and see the '09 that you could check it out, but if you don't like it as well, there should still be '08's still on the lot AND at a big discount 8-) .
IMO engines are getting a little crazy. The 5.7 seems to be very reliable and more than enough power already. If you're looking for something fast or powerful, you'll always find something bigger or better within 2 years and then you're just 2nd best. I don't worry about others, mine is good enough for me and that's all that matters.

Old 09-04-2007 | 08:32 PM
HemiDen
|
Rookie

Well, the debate is over - It's a done deal. I went for the '07 2500 HD Quad Cab Hemi ThunderRoad Edition Ram. I went with the same color as my wife's Durango (Inferno Red), so now we have "his and her's" Hemi Dodge trucks. I was grinning ear to ear driving it home tonight. I'll have some pics taken soon...

Old 09-05-2007 | 11:12 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

the 6.1 is not replacing the 5.7.....the 5.7 is getting a jump in HP and Torque (VVT), and yes it is going to have a Cummins V8 Diesel....a 6 speed auto is coming and I'm 99% sure that a 6 speed manual is coming in the 1500 for the hemi and possibly the CTD

Old 09-06-2007 | 02:33 AM
nateblong
Professional

Can't wait to see those pics. You are now an owner of the truck that I want to own..

Quick Reply: 2009 RAM. Worth waiting for?