Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

front axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM
nipps318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front axle

have a 98 ram 1500 sport, i have replaced the bushing in the front axle (between the 2 halfs on pass side) 3 times in two and half years. also replcaed tie rods, ball joints, and it still goes bad. what do i do now????

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 AM
codysblueram
Default RE: front axle

Are you having to go with offset bushings or are you replacing with factory size? Do you have big tires and wheels? I have had to replace my bushings on both sides twice insix years, but you sound like you might have a bigger issue. Do you know if the truck has been wreaked on that side? A crooked frame or axle will give you fits. How about alignment--do you getit done after replacing the bushings and does it still pull to one side? As an aside, do you have a leveling kit on the front end? I am trying to find information about leveling a 98 1500 Sport 4WD. All the leveling kits say will NOT work with factory lift. If you can help me out as well I would appreciate it! Email codymaly@msn.com. Check on that frame and also the control arms. Make sure everything is straight! Also look at the tires--if they lean into the body at the top there is too little offset in your bushings, and leaning out means too much. You will also see excessive tire wear on one side depending on if its in or out. Hope we can help one another.Thanks! Cody

Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 PM
nipps318
Default RE: front axle

the frame is straight, never wrecked, i have new tires factory size, have replaced ball joints tierods, drag link. got an alignment. this is the buhing in the passenger side axle shaft, i boght the part from a dodge dealer, they did not offeer any other options. as far as a leveling kit i would contact summit racing or a reputable 4 wheel shop. i have not looked into it myself. thanks for the reponse. Ryan

Quick Reply: front axle