Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Hi, new and got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:40 AM
Hush_Hyena
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, new and got a few questions

Hey, Hush here, just hopped onto the Dodge Bandwagon this weekend. My uncle gave me his 1994 Ram 1500 4x4. 5.9lt 360 Magnum, 4 speed auto. It's got 71 thousand miles, and he's maintained it like.. insane. Oil changed every 2500, full synthetic, all that good stuff. It's got a 3" lift on it, 35" tires, 4.10 gear ratio on front and rear Dana axles (I think D: i don't know too much about the truck.) And all sorts of other goodies. It's an Arizona truckso it has like, no rust, and he said it has heavy duty bushings on it that he oils up every time he changes the oil.

It's, overall, a really really really nice truck and I like it alot. I'll post pictures of it later but right now I have a few questions about the truck itself.. More like the total reliability of it, in general. I'm your typical 20 year old college student that likes to travel alot and I worry about problems with my cars probably more than I really should. What should I be looking for in this truck at it's current milage problem wise? What should I be expecting in the future? What should I keep a close eye on? I've did alot of research and stuff but I can't ever seem to find the right answers so I figured I'd ask people.
One of my biggest concernes is the transmission, I've been told they are unreliable. My uncle said they are iffy, and that unless he's driving over 60mph he always keeps the overdrive off since the RPM's are relatively low anyways (2000ish at 50). Is this a good thing to do? Should I just buy a new, beefier transmission and avoidany possibleproblems to begin with?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion
Default RE: Hi, new and got a few questions

Welcome to D.Forum.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:23 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

welcome to the forum.

wish i had an uncle 2 give me one too.

overall good trucks but post in the ram forum they can help you better.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
tiresmoketravis
Rookie

hay that is one nice truck as long as you take good care of it the truck should not give you any problems as for the overdrive you only need to turn it off if you are pulling a trailer or if your truckoverdrive keeps going in or outon the highway just drive the speed limit and if the truck keeps kicking in and out of overdrive then yes you will want to turn it off but if not you can leave it on but you should not have to turn it off just keep in mind how you take care and drive your truck will determin what gose worng with it you will have the normal matance idoms im sure your uncle could tell you or your dodge dealer could get into more details with you

Quick Reply: Hi, new and got a few questions