Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (7k pounds) with my HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
CrazySte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (7k pounds) with my HEMI?

HI EVERYBODY,
i'm new in this forum, actually i was searching for an answer and i hope somebody can give me the final answer, because i had millions of different answers between PayLoad, CombinedWeigh, GrossWeigh... i don't understand anything about all of this... help me please!
My father has a 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 HEMI 5.74x4 QuadCab with 20" wheels, recently we got pretty involved with RaceBike TrackDays so, we ordered a NEW Trailer to put in our 4 Bikes and other equipment.
The Trailer is a 22foot with Alluminum Frame Double Axle that will weigh about 4000pounds.
The Bikes and the Equipment will be about another 2000pounds.
So, the Total of the weigh of the Trailer and the Bikes with related Equipment will be about 6000 puonds.
Now, they told me that makes difference so, let me say it again: it's aDoubleAxle Trailer and we have 20" wheels... will we be able toTow this huge thing with our 2004 RAM 1500 HEMI 5.7 4x4?
Thank's for the answer and any additional info
BEST REGARDS

P.S.:NEWS on the Trailer Weigh... the Trailer guy called and said that the Trailer, once loaded with out options such as Lights, Air Conditioning and Water will weigh about 4500pounds, so this brings up the estimated final weigh of the trailer loaded with bikes and related stuff to 6500 pounds... am i still OK?

Old 11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
TorRedOrv0436
Veteran
Default RE: HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (6k pounds) with my HEMI?

Should be no problem. The truck is rated to tow 9000lbs.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:25 PM
mileshuff
Professional

The 20" wheels will probably reduce towing performance. While it maybe rated to 9,000 there is no way I'd try to pull anywheres near that much. I have a Hemi 4x4 Durango and tow 5,000lbs. It tows it very well but I would not want to tow anything more than 6,000lbs. I do live where mountain grades are common. In flat terrain a bit more may be fine. I just do not like having to shift to 1st up grades. With 5,000lbs I am able to tow up 6% grades in 2nd at 45mph. I do have 3.55 rear end. 3.73's+ may do better.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: TorRedOrv0436

Should be no problem. The truck is rated to tow 9000lbs.
+1

Old 11-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll know it's there. . .but past that it'll pull just fine.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

The only issue you should realistically run into is the gas bill. The Hemi's seem kinda notorious for not being efficient while towing.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

On mine (older), to tow a load, I have to turn off the overdrive...not sure on the newer models if they can tow with OD on. Check the oweners manual. My 96 1500 (with a 5.2) towes a 6-7 lb trailer andits ok on hils (not great).

Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

My 97 5.9 gasser was not a fan of towing in overdrive either, but it sure liked gasoline

Old 11-02-2007, 07:37 PM
CrazySte

THANK'S EVERYBODY
i just want to remind you that my truck is a model 2004, so it's not the latest and may be it tows less...
I'm saying this because i received so many different answer that i don't know who to bhelive, and now, here, i really hope that i found the ultimate answer.
Just to tell you guys the previus answers:

Trailer Dealer: "Your Truck can Pull up to 8500 pounds, so, you are fine"
Then i called Dodge on the phone: "Your truck supports a combined weigh of 14000pounds and the truck weighs 6500 pounds!" that leaves me with 7500 pounds tow capacity
Internet searching: some 8200 punds, other 7800 pounds, other 8900 pounds

Dodge Forum: "you can tow 9000 pounds!"

OK, so, now since i have a lowestanswer of 7500 and a highest of 9000 pounds, i hope that in reality this truck can handle 8300 punds, so it gives me somewhat of a margin between the about 6000 pounds to the limit.
Personally, i trust much more all of you guys than the person on the phone with Dodge that seemed to not have too much of a clear idea since at the beginning, the first quickanswer that he gave me was 6800 pounds, then i asked him to double check and he came back with the 14000 combined.
Now, i really hope that i'm not going to have problems with the PickUp... we really like it and we wouldn't want to sell it now that has only 40k miles.

So, are you all positive that my truck can easly tow this big axx trailer?
Just to mention, i even have to Tow/Haul feature on the GearBox!

THANK'S AGAIN

P.S.:NEWS on the Trailer Weigh... the Trailer guy called and said that the Trailer, once loaded with out options such as Lights, Air Conditioning and Water will weigh about 4500pounds, so this brings up the estimated final weigh of the trailer loaded with bikes and related stuff to 6500 pounds... am i still OK?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:14 PM
CrazySte

ORIGINAL: CrazySte
THANK'S EVERYBODY
i just want to remind you that my truck is a model 2004, so it's not the latest and may be it tows less...
I'm saying this because i received so many different answer that i don't know who to bhelive, and now, here, i really hope that i found the ultimate answer.
Just to tell you guys the previus answers:

Trailer Dealer: "Your Truck can Pull up to 8500 pounds, so, you are fine"
Then i called Dodge on the phone: "Your truck supports a combined weigh of 14000pounds and the truck weighs 6500 pounds!" that leaves me with 7500 pounds tow capacity
Internet searching: some 8200 punds, other 7800 pounds, other 8900 pounds

Dodge Forum: "you can tow 9000 pounds!"

OK, so, now since i have a lowestanswer of 7500 and a highest of 9000 pounds, i hope that in reality this truck can handle 8300 punds, so it gives me somewhat of a margin between the about 6000 pounds to the limit.
Personally, i trust much more all of you guys than the person on the phone with Dodge that seemed to not have too much of a clear idea since at the beginning, the first quickanswer that he gave me was 6800 pounds, then i asked him to double check and he came back with the 14000 combined.
Now, i really hope that i'm not going to have problems with the PickUp... we really like it and we wouldn't want to sell it now that has only 40k miles.

So, are you all positive that my truck can easly tow this big axx trailer?
Just to mention, i even have to Tow/Haul feature on the GearBox!

THANK'S AGAIN

HI EVERYBODY
wow, this silence sounds kinf of scary to me... everybody quickly answered when i asked about Hauling 6000 pounds, now thet i got the news that the final weigh will be 6500 pounds there are no answer... wow, what about 7000 pounds?
I'm asking that just to be sure that i have a little kind of margin from the limit of the towing capacity... how much more can i tow if a install 18" wheels for instance instead of the actual 20"?
Thank's again for your help
REGARDS

Quick Reply: HELP: can i Tow this Trailer (7k pounds) with my HEMI?