Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Just a click at start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 05:59 PM
cuervo88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a click at start

Spec's:
'96 1500 Extended Cab short bed
4x2
¡Ö 145k miles

I just get a click for the first several times that I turn the ignition to start after it has been sitting for a while. This morning it took forever to get it to start. It only clicks 1 time. Sometimes it will "chunk", or it will try to start but it only "thinks about it". The fuel pump is noticably "priming" for the first second or 2 that the key is on, by noticably I mean that I can hear it buzzing.

I replaced the battery the first time that this started happening (about a month ago), but no joy. Somedays it will fire right up, but this past week it has gotten very difficult.

I'm wondering if it's the starter, the fuel pump, or some other possible issue. I know this may not be enough information, but I appreciate any feedback.

I'm not a great mechanic, and I don't have the money to just throw at it. I can do some changes and I think I can remove/replace the starter if necessary, but I need a decent starting point though so that I can at least have something to go by just in case I take it in.

thanks

Old 11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker
Default RE: Just a click at start

I learned from my Dad, a lifelong Chrysler mechanic, 'check the simple stuff FIRST'. Take your battery terminals off, give 'em a thorough cleaning; take the wires off the starter and do the same- since you just replaced the battery, it's possible that something is just loose or dirty. The fuel pump noise is pretty typical- I'd be more concerned if I DIDN'T hear it. Since it fires right up somedays, that is apretty good indicator of something intermittent, which very likely could be an electrical connection. Try them first and tell us what happens.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

I had a similar problem on my 98. Apparently the battery teminals were a little bigger than the ones on my replacement battery, and although the battery cable clamp was tightened all the way, it wasn't fully tight on the terminal. Did the same things yours is doing....start fine one day, then get a click, then get half a turn out of the engine, etc. Check the battery cable clamps. If it's a little loose, but tightened all the way, take a pair of channel locks and squease the clamp a little bit to oblong it a touch. It'll be tight then.

If it's not the cable ends, then check the connections on the starter, check for loose grounds, and inspect the battery cables (look for pinched/damaged areas).

Old 11-18-2004, 09:18 PM
cuervo88

I took off the terminals this morning to clean them up, but I don't recall if they were too big for the posts or not. I'll look into that.

Where do I get to the leads on the starter? Is it from underneath? I'm not familiar with this yet.

Thanks again...

Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cuervo88

Where do I get to the leads on the starter? Is it from underneath? I'm not familiar with this yet.

Thanks again...
Yeah, it would be easiest to check them from underneath. Just remember, if you take a wrench to make sure the starter connections are tight, make sure you disconnect the battery first.

Quick Reply: Just a click at start