Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

is the dealer ripping me off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 01:22 AM
5.91500beast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the dealer ripping me off?

Hey, went in today for the knocking noise, and like i have read sooo many times on here, they started pitching other crap at me that of course got my mom all worried..they were saying something about my Differential fluid, apparantly in 3 places..the back, middle transfer case, and front were REALLY low, and they guy said that he suspected that the truck..60k miles..had never had it changed. Does that sound ligit? or is there a good chance he is takin me and my $200 for a ride. I dont know enough about trucks to know about that stuff..someone please give me some input.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: is the dealer ripping me off?

as long as the difs are full to the inlet hole, your good. best way to test this, take the nut off. . .I'm talking about the top one that is near the middle of the cover, and stick your finger straight in, if you feel fluid near the bottom of the hole, your good. transfer cases are the exact same way. the bottom nut is for draining, and the top one is for filling, and you fill it to the bottom of that hole.

you can drain your differentials and transfer very easy, and the only thing you have to buy is the fluid. check the manual, it will tell you what type to get and how much.

if to your knowledge the fluids have not been changed, I would say change it yourself. get a drain pan from an auto parts store and the oil. this is something you can do in your drive way for less than $30 in under an hour.

it's a good thing you asked this, cause there are quite a few things you can do yourself and save loads of money on, plus, you get to see how things work. do it yourself I'd say, if the knocking goes away, you can puff your chest out and say to yourself, you fixed it and your out $30 instead of over $200

Quick Reply: is the dealer ripping me off?