Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

charging system failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 AM
cbchev68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system failure

Hey all,</P>

I am new to this forum, and I came seeking help from some fellow Dodge owners. As you guessed by the title I am having some issues with my charging system.. Unfortunately, the problem was self induced (read, I goofed bigtime). The truck is a 97 2500 with the V10.</P>

Some background. Since we are having a cold snap here is the Northeast, I decided it was tine to swap my 180 thermostat for a 195. Which I proceeded to do.. Once it was done, I had a slight leak from the thermostat housing. (Im going to blame this next part on the cold, after all it was 10 degrees when I was doing this During a moment of a brain cramp, I think it is a good idea to fish a socket and extension down behind the alternator to snug up the bolts, with the engine running mind you... I of course grounded the field circuit feed (term #2), and instantly the Alt stops charging.... I *thought* i fried the alternator, and picked up a replacement.. No still not charging.. SO tonight I break out the factory service manual and get into it... After some quick tests, I find I am getting no power to the field circuit. I traced this back to the tranmission control relay. I looks like they put the TCR in series with the ALT field circuit.. The PCM feeds the TCR directly, no fuse. So I believe I fried that circuit within the PCM.. I ran a bypass wire to feed the alt field circuit, and VIOLA! there was power again...</P>

So with that, I am curios as to if anyone else has been boneheaded like me. And if replacing the PCM was the cure..</P>

Thanks...</P>

Quick Reply: charging system failure