Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Genuine question reguarding dodge truck transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Lead Head
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genuine question reguarding dodge truck transmissions?

Couldn't figure out where to post this, but here it goes.

I've heard tons and tons of great things about Chrysler's Torqueflight transmission, espeically the 727 in terms of simplicity and reliability. Just curious to what chrysler did in the early 90s when they added an overdrive that caused so many reliability problems? Was it an increase and engine power without an increase in transmission strength? I heard someone said that they engineered a flaw into the overdrive part of the tranny because of low amounts of work to rebuilders/chrysler parts. I don't think thats true though. I'm not trying to flame or anything, I like dodge trucks, alot, espeically the new HEMI and Cummins engines, just haven't heard the greatest things about their 1990+ trannies.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Genuine question reguarding dodge truck transmissions?

It was not the overdrive addition.

In the late 1980s and early 1990s Chrysler bought some defective lip seals to use in the automatics...this caused lots of problems
but Chrysler began buying a high quality d-ring seal about the year 1996.

However, in 1996 they redesigned the valve body to be more electronic and created the "RE" series of automatics which let the computer control the atf pressures inside the valve body using a little unit called a vfs....which caused many problems because it did not really keep the pressures high enough after the internal friction parts had worn a bit.

For more info
here's what one Ram owner learned
when he got his hands oily
and dove into the internal parts and their strength himself:

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33

Quick Reply: Genuine question reguarding dodge truck transmissions?