Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

5.2 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:51 PM
40intrepid
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.2 coolant leak

I have an 01 Ram with the 5.2 litre V-8.
While doing my oil change this week, I noticed coolant residue leaking out of a metal tube on the water pump on the left (Driver) side of the pump.
Its leaking where the tube is screwed or pressed into the water pump.
The other end of the tube goes to the heater hose.
Is this easy to fix? If I unbolt the tube and drain the system can I pull the tube out and clean it up and re-seal with some gasket sealer, or RTV or something?
If so, what kind of sealer?
It's not a big leak, but I want to know in case it starts spewing or something.
Has anyone else ever made this repair, I hope the water pump doesnt have to come off.[:@]

Thanks for help.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: 5.2 coolant leak

I'm not real sure of the design of the water pump on your engine, however what it sounds like is the sending tube to the heater core might have cracked at the pump houseing. one of the guys I work with had this happen to him thursday. the entire tube blew out. the tube was just pressed in, once it cracks thats it, you cant JBweld it or seal it back up. **** poor design if you ask me. now, if yours screws in then all you need to do is pull it off, clean the threads, put on some new thread sealant and put it back in. but if it is pressed in then that means you have to get a new water pump.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:34 PM
40intrepid
Professional

Thanks Drew,
Not exactly what I hoped to hear.
What did youre friend have to do? Did he get a new water pump?
It just turned realy cold here in MI this week and I dont want to have to do a water pump in the yard, and I dont have backup transportation except for a pair of mountain bikes!
Looks like i might be going back to the dealer and getting a rental if it blows.[:@]
Thanks again!

Old 12-25-2004, 03:05 PM
40intrepid
Professional

Okay, I talked to a friend who did the job before, turns out I can just pull the old tube out and replace with one from the dealer, no sealant or nothing.
Now if only the old tube can hold out till warmer weather.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:22 PM
drumn911
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im probably tooooo late to reply but ive changed my water pump so i know about this...theres a O-ring seal at the end of the metal tube that goes into your water pump..u can only get this o-ring from dodge its like 4 bucks...the tube could be cracked..i would just buy a new one...later....

Quick Reply: 5.2 coolant leak