Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.

New hemi owner has small probl

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 04:10 PM
hemiNV
Default New hemi owner has small probl

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I have a new 04 1500, 4X4, QC with the hemi and 20 inch tires. Like the truck so far the gas mileage is not great (about 14 all around). I have noticed that I get a rapid ticking sound coming from under or near the right front dash. The ticks are intermittent and are rapid with three quick ticks. It sounds electrical like a short. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas? I know if I take it to the dealer and try to get them to hear it won’t do it for them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Also want to modify the air intake and get a catback exhaust. Does anyone know if that will void the warranty?</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-: EN-US; mso-fareast-: EN-US; mso-bidi-: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">Thanks</SPAN></P><edited><editID>hemiNV</editID><editDate>38008.5708101852</editDate></edited>

Old 01-22-2004 | 05:09 PM
mazz
Veteran

I see a lot of people wanting to modify, and modifying their Hemis. Intakes and exhaust. There are a couple things to take into consideration before doing so. First off, the Hemi engine is dependant on air flow into and back pressure (air flow out of). Without the proper combination of both, the engine suffers. This is realized in loss of low end power, decrease in fuel economy, or both. Not all combinations yield poor results. The problem is, finding the right combination in a cost effective manner. Many report a drop in both power and fuel economy following installation of a cat-back exhaust.</P>

Adding an air intake or a cat-back exhaust will not void your warranty. However, some dealerships may refuse to provide warranty service for issues related to problems that they may feel could be caused by such a replaced air intake or exhaust system. I would check with the dealership where you plan to have service work done to see what their position is.</P>

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just trying to give you a better basis from which to make your decisions to mod. - Dave</P>

Old 01-22-2004 | 06:23 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

Try reviewing this post hemiNV...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum_posts.a...=1155&amp;PN=8

~Amanda

Old 01-22-2004 | 08:07 PM
hemiNV

Thanks for the advise.</P>

</P>

I did read the post dodgegirl but I think my tick is different than their tick. Mine is real fast "tick'tick,tick" about as fast as you can say it then it is gone for a while then it comes back real fast then gone again and so on...it sounds electrical from under the dash. I think i will check with the dealer.</P>

</P>

Thanks</P>

Old 01-22-2004 | 10:05 PM
sknah

about that catback. what if you just throw a flowmaster series muffler and leave all the other pipes. i know enough to know that that might mess with the back pressure, but if i keep the standard pipes and bends it should just give the hemi the sound the dealer should have provided me with, right?

Old 01-22-2004 | 10:12 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

Originally Posted by hemiNV
I did read the post dodgegirl but I think my tick is different than their tick.
I'm sorry... LOL! I didn't know. I hope you find the answer!! Keep us updated!

~Amanda

Old 01-23-2004 | 08:25 PM
ram4x4

Your getting 14 miles to the gallon on a hemi?364 miles per tank of gas?Damn thats GREAT!!!I have the 4.7 litre with the 3:92 axleand Im averaging 10 or 11 miles to the gallon.Could there be something wrong with my truck?

Old 01-24-2004 | 12:59 AM
stupidface
Professional

yeah i get that same ticking sound on mine, and i have a 4.7ltr, but its been doin that since i left the dealer ship, it happens every once and a while, it sounds like its in the driverside firewall panL, it kinda sounds a basball card on a bike spoke, but it only last, till the motor shifts out of gear to another or when i let off the gas gently.

Old 01-24-2004 | 01:31 AM
redriderbob
Banned

Try my boys over at http://www.pickuptruck.com, they always have an anwser for something... most of our Dodge forum has HEMI and 4.7L "MAGNUM" guys!</P>

redriderbob</P>

Old 01-25-2004 | 07:54 PM
RcBandit28
Captain

I want to know how you're getting 14 MPG in your HEMI........tell me how! I'm getting around 9! if i'm LUCKY!

Quick Reply: New hemi owner has small probl