Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2500 manual vs automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:00 PM
mopar01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 manual vs automatic?

I am about to order a 05 2500 sport 4x4 Hemi with a manual. First my dealer says I can order a 6 speed, to has anyone tried one yet? I didnt think they were available yet. No info on Dodge's site..

Does the manual tranny offer much of a difference in getting the power to the ground? I test drove a auto and wes less than pleased with the performance of the tranny. Hoping the manual will wake it up?

Looking to place order Monday!!!

Thanks guys.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2500 manual vs automatic?

Ive got a 6 in mine, but I also have the cummins. for the 04's the 6 speed NV5600 was only offered with the HO cummins, the SO and hemi's got the NV4500 5 speeds.

the main difference is with the 6 3-4-5 gears are a bit closer in gearing so you have more control as to how much power you want to put to the ground. with the cummins a 6 is amost critical since the power band is so tight. . .red line is 3200rpm and torque is made at only 1600.

I'm not certian of this, but I think with the 05's DC is going with a new tranny supplier and is putting in the GETRAG G56 (I think thats it) and those trannies are 6 speeds. however, the reliability of them is not know as of yet, the New Venture trannies that have been used have proven themselves to be quite reliable even when the power has been turned up on the cummins to over 700 hp.

I like to grind my own gears while unloaded I rarely use first since it is a rather impressive granny gear but when I'm loaded down, first does come in quite handy. But I wouldnt be able to tell you how a 6 speed would run behind the hemi. you would have alot more gears at your disposal so you can pull loads better. With a gas burner the power band is broader so the closeness of the gears might get to you after a while and you'll find yourself skipping gears when unloaded. but if your planning on loading your truck down the 6 would be good to have since it would be better at keeping the engine at slightly higher RPM's for better towing.

hope I was of atleast some help

Quick Reply: 2500 manual vs automatic?