Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

CEL Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 AM
smallblockfloyd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL Help

Hey guys, I'm driving a 98 dodge 1500, with the 318 mag. It's got a bad control ring(cracked i believe), and it burns oil. For the past two or three weeks, it will randomly flicker the CEL light under highway merging acceleration, then kick off when i hit cruise speed. Well that is until tonight. Tonight it flickered a bunch, then stayed on, and is staying on. Icould hear it 'suck' coolant, and smelled like itwas running rich(burning oil blowby), when i merged on highway tonight.

Ok, so I was curious how I could pull codes, and see what was causing the CEL(Check Engine Light), to be on. Also, if anyone has any good ideas to help troubleshoot, it would be great.

Also, the engine will 'suck' coolant (gurgling noises under acceleration for a short amount of time, maybe 3-5seconds, then it quits, sounds like air pockets) quite often. usually right after startup, with 30-90 second warm up and some mildly 'aggressive' acceleration (more than 1/2 throttle). It will also do it, under hard acceleration like highway merging, sometimes aswell. Anyone have a clue what could cause this? It's been this way for a while. This is my fathers truck, and as long as he has owned it, he remembers it happening as well. Thank's guys.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 AM
smallblockfloyd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CEL Help

Got the problem resolved. Thanks guys.