Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

level or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:35 AM
aztex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default level or not?

I just purchased a 2002 ram 1500 4wd, an I am wanting to put some bigger tires and rims without lifting. Does any one know if I would need to put a leveling kit on the front. After researching online, the majority of leveling kits are for 98-2001 1500's or 98 and up 2500/3500's. Is there a reason 2002's are not mentioned as far as leveling kits are concerned?? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Snafu
Default RE: level or not?

Yah, because in 2002 Dodge switched the front suspension to IFS. Instead of coil springs and an axle, you've got torsion bars and a-arms. Nowhere near as strong, many more moving parts, and much less friendly to work on. You can gain an inch or so by cranking up the tension on your torsion bar adjusters, but it will ride a bit stiffer. I know a couple of companies make a 2" bracket for the torsion bars for Chevy IFS trucks, but don't know if anyone makes them for Dodge yet. It's kinda the halfass way of doing it, and I really don't suggest it. What you get is not worth the $$$ they charge for the kit.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:28 PM
tommiwan
Professional
Default RE: level or not?

see my post here https://dodgeforum.com/m_154682/mpag.../tm.htm#158741 I did a lot of research on this and even found a guy who will give you a good deal. It is all in that thread.

I will eventually get the keys listed, but for now with the cash situation I may try and crank the torsion bars (if I can find them. I don't know much about this kind of stuff)

Quick Reply: level or not?