Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2002 4.7 Performance upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Ram02ohio
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4.7 Performance upgrade questions

I'm new to the forum and I have a bunch of questions regarding the performance of the 4.7L. I drive mostly highway miles and am getting only between 14.5 and 16 mpg. My 1996 with the 5.2 got about 18 mpg. I drive like a maniac and the 4.7 has a lot more pep, so it really doesn't surprise me too much that the mileage is low. But, I would like to see if I can increase the mileage (and a power boost wouldn't hurt either).

First of all, do these "cold air intake systems" really work? What kind of performance gains can you expect? What manufacturer has the best system for the money?

Second, what is the deal with the throttle body spacers? Do they work? How much performance gain?

Thanks in advance for the info!!!

Adam

Old 02-14-2004, 10:51 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2002 4.7 Performance upgrade questions

Im in the same boat here, 2002 4.7L. I put on a K&n filter and got 1.1mpg increase measured by the onboard computer. AirRaid sells a M.I.T.(Modular Itake Tube) kit. It replaces the airbox and connect the filter box with just some tubing. Im going around some muffler shops and see if they can bend me a 3" pipe and find some kind of 3" rubber/silicone hose to comensate for the engine movement. If that dont work, I'll use some PVC and see if it gets any better performance. Then I might splurge for the pro kit. I have heard that the Dodges "Wake Up" the most with the computer programmers. If any one reads this and done the comp flash, please post a remark.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:03 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that's worse than my HEMI. The 4.7L is pretty well thought out guys. I had one in the 01 Dakota QC I traded on the Ram. It was a nice truck aside from the typical Dakota Problems.

I researched the possibility of mods for the truck and what I found really surprised me. Most of the people I spoke with, owners, said that even exhaust modifications including headers and pipes made little, if any, difference in the performance of the truck. That's alot of money down the crapper.

Chrysler has done a great job with the stock exhaust on all these newer vehicles. Now don't get me wrong, you can probably get a couple HP out of a freeflowing muffler, but the pipes are already maximized. Take a good look at what you have under your truck. It will do just fine with most common mods that people are doing today, CAI, chips, etc. Now, if your going to use a turbo or supercharger the exhaust needs to be upgraded.

Please don't get the impression that I'm trying to discourage you. The 4.7L sounds good with a system, if that's what your after, but for mileage,?????

Good luck. Todd

Old 02-15-2004, 05:23 AM
287cc
Veteran

I also have the same problem with my 02 4.7liter. I am thinking about putting in the spit fire spark plugs I heard those help alot but I need to see facts or more input.

Quick Reply: 2002 4.7 Performance upgrade questions