Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Check Engine Light after swapping fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
laserbrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light after swapping fuel pump

Hi guys,

I'm a new member here and I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500. The fuel pump died on this truck and so I picked up a new one and swapped it out. I dropped the tank and did the swap, and I think I forgot to hookup a little cable. It connects to the rear of the tank and it's causing me a code, but I'm not sure where it connects to. I've redropped the tank and I can't seem to get this figured out.

The code that comes up says basically Large EVAP Leak. I checked the gas cap and made sure all of the clamps are tight on the filler hose and the smaller hose.

Any help? I gotta get this truck smogged and it won't pass with a Check Engine Light on.

Thanks

Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
kev2
Veteran

first post the code...Pxxxx?

It was a cable? not a wire (insulated) color? or a vac line?
maybe a ground strap?
everything works- fuel gauge? fuel pressure good?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 AM
laserbrn

I used a friends scanner to pull the code and I don't remember, but I'm 99% sure it was P0455 - EVAP Leak Large

I remember that it said it was a large EVAP Leak. I'm not exactly sure what it was that was forgotten when I dropped the tank. I've redropped the tank and can't seem to figure it out.

It's annoying because I can't register my truck because of it (needs to be smogged) and it's left me driving dirty sorta speak.

And yes, that was my first post on this forum. I'm very active on some other forums (not dodge related) and figured this would be the best way to try to find some help with this problem.

I know that this cable to the top of the rear of the tank, may have been a ground, but I remember it connecting with a round type of connector and it appeared to me to be electrical.

Fuel pressure is fine, fuel gauge works, the only problem that seems to exist is this code. I suppose it's possible it's unrelated to the fuel pump swap and maybe a vac line got cracked or damaged when I dropped the tank. Anyone have any idea what a shop might charge to track this down? I'm a bit strapped for cash, but I gotta get this thing fixed.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
kev2
Veteran

you could checkthe vac lines from tank going foward - maybe you unplugged a hose or wire "upstream"- - do you smell fuel at tank area? the evap canisters are foward of the tank...maybe something there is not secure-loose cracked- on top of canister is a hose to tank

corrective action use scan tool to initiate evap test as smoke is pumpud into system to locate a leak

a shot in the dark.... record all codes- autozone will do as a customer service- clear them operate and complete a drive cycle might be a coincidence with pump change

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light after swapping fuel pump