Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Oil Fill Cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 02:35 AM
RAM04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Fill Cap

Just picked up a new 04 Quad cab Hemi. Recently removed the oil filler cap after a 3 hour driving session. Noticed a lot of condensation on the top of the cap to the point where it is dripping. Old school is that this is not a good sign and the engine is not getting hot enough to burn off the moisture in the oil! Is this normal? Most caps I have looked at on other vehicles are dry as a bone! Any info appreciated.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:26 AM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil Fill Cap

Nothing at all to worry about. It is caused by the design of the emissions system. Just below and on the back-side of your oil filler cap is your pcv valve. This is part of the problem. Another reason is that the filler tube and cap are made of plastic and cool faster than the hot metal components of the engine.

This problem has been discussed on numerous "other" dodge forums and everyone comes up with the same conclusion that the emulsification problem is normal and is nothing to worry about.

This problem occurs in most of the modern emission controlled engines that have a similar design filler cap/pcv design.

Bill,

Old 02-13-2004, 03:35 AM
RAM04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Fill Cap

Thanks for the tip. Like I said, school says this is a bad thing. I have a 2000 Accord, 81 280Z, 67 vette and prior to this a 02 F350 all of which never exhibited this condition. I have had the truck for a week and do not know all the idiosyncrisies of it. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Oil Fill Cap