Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

4.10 gears - real improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM
rovman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4.10 gears - real improvement?

I have read a number of posts about gear changes ... 3.55 to 4.10 or 4.56 and how the 3.55 is a "real dog" gearset. I don't argue about the 3.55 being a dog.

I want to make the change but the affect on MPG is my concern. I run probably 60-70% city type (under 50mph) driving. I tow once or twice a year at the moment but haul truckloads of contstruction and landscape materials quite often.

My goal for my buildup has always been tow/haul related but with a decent highway setup.

Often stated in threads about gear changes is the "it may even help your mpg for city/highway" comment based upon the increase in rpm range associated with the lower gears.

My point is --- almost always I read "IT MAY" but rarely have I seen "IT DID". No offense to those who suppose a change should occur but:

How many actual gear changers on here noticed a better (or no change) mpg by swapping out their 3.55's? Doesn't matter if you went to 3.92, 4.10 or 4.56. What are the "REAL" mpg affects of your gear change?

Quick Reply: 4.10 gears - real improvement?