Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

which ram?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005 | 10:10 AM
Drew
Professional
Default RE: which ram?

ORIGINAL: needodge!

diesel fuel gels [] oh my god how cold are we talking about? I like the idea of the cummins low down grunt and pulling power but don't want to to be stranded!, If it snows heavily is it a big advantage to have 4 wheel drive or will 2 wheel drive be enough to get out of some sticky situations? and is the 4 wheel drive switchable? by that I mean is it constant or can it be disengaged with a central diff lock or hub locks?

diesel will gell, but it has to get freaking cold to do it. if your afraid of diesel gelling then you can put in some stuff called Power Service. it has anti gelling properties and will keep the fuel from gelling to much lower temps. the fuel filter canister has a built in heater element to keep the fuel from gelling there. However, if the diesel has jelled you can buy some anti gelling stuff to toss in the tank that will un-gell the fuel.

the main thing you have to watch out for is weight. the hemi only weighs in at 4-500 pounds. the cummins is a stout 900 pounds. so the front end sinking does become a problem, but that added weight can come to an advantage when is comes to traction and pulling something out.

the 4 wheel drive only disconnects at the transfer. there are no hub disconnects on the AAM axels.

yea, the cummins has gobs of low end power. and for as little as $400 you can add up to 140 more horse and 300+ lb-ft torque without a screwdriver

Old 04-11-2005 | 10:41 AM
needodge!

oh hell yeah the diesel cummins sounds like the truck for me does it come with the cool looking front like the SRT-10 or hemi sports model? what type of performance can you expect form a mildly tuned cummins turbo diesel? 14 seconds 1/4 miles? I like the idea of having plenty of low down power for 4 wheel driving and leather interior for comfort how big is the cab and bed on the cummins models?

Old 04-11-2005 | 12:02 PM
Drew
Professional

Ive got the QC model. I can fit 5, 6'+ tall people in my truck with room to spare. now I do have a front center seat belt, but the idea of the stick going straight back twards you isnt a good thing

now, the 6 speed. there is a problem with the new tranny's and dodge is not releasing what the exact problem is. mine has the tried and proven NV5600. the new GETRAG g-56's however use a dual mass flywheel that the cummins is literaly folding in half from the torque. if the flywheel isnt failing then the rear bearings are detonating, again from the torque if your looking for a 6 speed and able to find one with a NV5600 then get it. but if your going with an auto, the 48RE tranny is a good one, however, adding any more power stock is dangerous. with a few mods totaling a few hundered adding in a raceing box would not be a problem.

if your gunna bomb it just remember, the NV5600 clutch stock can handle a max of 800 lb-ft torque before slipping, HP is not known since torque on these engines rises quicker than hp. a modified bellhouseing and clutch on the NV5600 can easily handle over 1200 lb-ft

the 48RE stock can only handle a max of about 700-750 lb-ft and 375 hp. but do some mods to the valve body, clutches, and torque converter and you could easily make it into what you want.

if you want to know more just click on the TDR logo in my sig

Old 04-11-2005 | 01:01 PM
needodge!

god damn thats amazing I can't grasp how much torque your talking about! I have a 4 liter straight six with 400 newton meters of torque and I thought that was heaps! and it has 200 HP which was ok but not anything special! the 5.9 liter turbo diesel sounds like a mean engine that responds well to simple tuning and hot up products, what do the sound like? I have thoughts of a loud nissan patrol but I am not sure? I immagine a 4 inch pipe would be a common add on for less backpressure? and by what I am hearing about the massive gains made with simple tuning I assume the engine is in a major detuned state from the factory to pass emission testing?

Old 04-11-2005 | 01:31 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

yea and just wait till you get horney and pull a fattty burn out

Old 04-11-2005 | 02:24 PM
Drew
Professional

well, as of 04.5 all cummins engines come from the factory sporting a 4 inch exhaust from the turbo all the way to the tail.

now many do have catalytic converters on them, but the cat is so large the restriction is basicaly zero.

my truck is one of the first runs that uses the quiet diesel motor (A.K.A. '600'). since the injectors are now fired by a computer instead of pressure from the injector pump, the engine is WAY quieter, and produces more power.

heres some vids for your viewing pleasure

Old 04-12-2005 | 12:53 AM
needodge!

thanks for the videos those turbos sound awesome! I never thought of diesel engines performing that way! [:-] I am still shocked to see the diesel trucks get into the 12 second bracket and over 105MPH thats better than any stock 6.0 liter gas V8 here in OZ! keep those video links coming guys your investing in a fellow future dodge owner