Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

smaller tires better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:24 PM
2006powerwagon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: smaller tires better?

I have a 2006 Power Wagon QC that comes stock with 285/70/17 BFGs. I also want to leave the truck stock, including the stock OEM 17x8 rims, yet increase to taller tires. In resonse, another reading told me that Goodyear makes the MT/R which comes in 305/70/17. Goodyear's specs state this tire can be mounted on 8" rim. However MT/Rs are awfully expensive! The Maxxis Bighorn or Buckshot Mudder come in the same size for alot less $. However, unlike Goodyear, the Maxxis website doesn't say 305s can be mounted on 8" rims like Goodyear. Isn't this the same size tire? Is this a mis-print?

Also does anyone know how to calculate the exact "height" and "width" increase 305/70/17 Bighorn or Buckshot tires would have using the stock OEM 17x8 rims? I noted that one reader said narrow rims would produce a slightly taller tire. I currently can park my Power Wagon in the garage, but not with much room to spare! Thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:53 PM
aguyiknow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a good link to caculate the differences between tires (I like this one):
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Here i another one, a different format but it lets us compare up to 5 different tires:
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Old 11-03-2007, 05:43 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you want to kill a child
and then think about that the rest of your life?

How would you feel if someone killed your mother?

I would strongly urge that tires be picked for performance,
like stopping distance, cornering, hydroplaning
and not for looks.

Quick Reply: smaller tires better?