Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004 | 11:08 PM
gcredneck02
|
Rookie
Default exhaust question

Can I cut the catylitic converter off of my '97 ram 1500 and not mess up the oxygen sensors? I have been thinking about cutting the cat off and replacing it with exhaust pipe. If it is going to run funny or not at all i'll probably just get a high flow cat.

Old 03-01-2004 | 12:13 AM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: exhaust question

Aside from being illegal to do so, I think not only will you screw up the O2 sensors, the computer may not like it, and as a result, the engine will run like crap. I'd opt for the high-flow cat.

Old 03-01-2004 | 12:42 AM
bullitt1229
Professional

I don't know about Dodge (because I just got my first Dodge in November) but on my Mustang, when I took out the factory h pipe and put in an o/r x (no cats), it really woke up. I just had to buy mil eliminators to keep the 02 sensor from throwing a code.

Old 03-01-2004 | 03:52 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

its case by case!! Some people get the light some dont. I say cut it out and run the streight pipe and leave it at that (put the o2's back in though). If you dont get a light then good. If you do give Dan a call at Fastman and get the O2 Simm chip he sells...they will make the PCM "think" you have a working cat!!

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: exhaust question