Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

chip on e bay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 05:25 PM
gcredneck02
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chip on e bay?

I was looking on e bay the other day for performance parts for my ram. I found a "racing chip" on there that said it would increase horsepower up to 20. It isn't the $2 resistor that you'll find on there that says it increases horsepower, this is something different. I was wondering if this actually works or if it is just a bunch of b.s.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:45 PM
kaostik
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chip on e bay?

firt thing id do is check feedback, if this guy sold it to a few people, they might leave feedback on whether or not it works. secondly, how much is it? if its new and its cheap its probably bogus. overall, id bet its bull#@$%. save the $$ for proven parts, i wouldnt make my truck a guinea pig on something ive never heard of.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:23 AM
gcredneck02
Rookie

aight i checked his feedback and it doesn't look all that bad. tell me what you think. here's the page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2464430548
i have about decided its crap. i'm not going to put it on my truck but i would like to know if anybody has bought one and if so if it actually works.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:00 AM
Vader
Champion

All that item does is jump the IAT sensor to make the ecu think that cold air is flowing in and increasing fuel delivery....JUNK.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:20 AM
jfreeman74
Amateur

If you wanted to do this mod, just go to Radio Shack and pay $.10 for a resistor (10K ohms I believe). I don't know what real advantage it would give you. I highly dought that you are going to get 20hp.

Old 03-09-2004, 03:07 AM
5SPDSLT
Rookie

Well.......I must say that I did purchase one of these devices I thought that for the $5 it was it was worth the try. I will say that it is indeed seems to be a 15K ohm resistor that you can probably buy at Radio Shack for pennies or so. Like I said, I figured that it was the case when I got it and knew it going into it.

I did notice a bit of a pick up on the horsepower. I also noticed a drop off of fuel milage (about 1-3 MPG). With fuel at $2.59 a gallon for 89 octane I had to remove it. I will say that I removed it without telling my girlfriend and she did notice the missing power.

Basiclly it tells the computer that the intake air is very cold. The computer them sends more fuel through the injectors. The timing is also advanced to give the "cold" air fuel mix time to ignite in time to produce usable pressure in the cylinder.

My advice.........If you really want to try it, go get a resistor at Radio Shack and give it a go. You should not do any harm to your engine or emission system. If you don't like it remove it. I am working on setting mine on a dual post dual throw relay that allows me to switch it from stock sensor to the bypass resistor on the flick of a switch. Then I have the power when I want it and fuel mileage when I need it.

Eric

Eric

Quick Reply: chip on e bay?