Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

kind of a stupid axle ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:25 AM
dodgeram56
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kind of a stupid axle ?

Ok i have seen some pictures of burnouts with the dodge ram and i have watched some 4x4 shows what kind of axles do these people have that they can have all 4 or both wheels spinning because my truck on turns 1 in 2 wheels drive and i dont know about 4 but it isnt all four because i got stuck and it would spin the tire that had no traction and that was on the ice

Old 03-08-2004, 12:33 PM
pabs
Default RE: kind of a stupid axle ?

never seen 4 wheels go all at once before

but when both rears are spinning up i believe that is a posi-track rear end, i think you can get them installed on the diff, you can also get a switch installed the locks just the front brakes, a line lock i think

Old 03-08-2004, 03:45 PM
dodgeram56
Rookie

k thnx i dont know much of anything about axles and gears so if anyone could help me out on how u mkae your axle into a posi or where i can get one it would be apprieciated also how do i do the brake thing

Old 03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
hsdracing

I'm not an expert on axles, but I do know that all axles have to have some "limited slip" to them in order for your vehicle to turn properly. Even "posi-traks." If the axle was "locked" your vehicle would try to go in a straight line, hence pushing you straight foward when your wheels are turned. It would eventually turn, but most likely result in some serious tire squaling from your front tires, and leaving out the possibility of any last minute, or sudden turns. They do make "detroit Locker" axles in which you can remotely lock the differential, but they are typically used for off-road applications. Hopefully I helped a little. I'm sure someone out there knows quite a bit more than me and could enlighten more.

Old 03-09-2004, 01:19 AM
BigDave
Professional

With my 100% stock hemi equipped with the 3.92 axle with limited slip and 275/70R17 off-road tires, I can spin both my rear wheels with ease. The first time I floored my truck while at a stand still, I left a pair of black stripes about 30 feet long. My wife rolled her eyes and ask how often will we be needing to buy new tires. [sm=smiley3.gif]

The standard axle has 100% "slip", meaning the wheel with the least resistance, that is the one that can turn faster gets all of the driveline torque to turn that wheel. Without slip, your truck make a turn. The limited slip axle, limits how much one wheel is allowed to "slip," or rotate faster than the other, thus when one wheel is burning rubber, the other wheel also spins to limit the slip. The posi-rears, lockers, etc are all variations of this concept with different mechanisms to minimize or even eliminate slip.

Quick Reply: kind of a stupid axle ?