Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Strange noices from my '98 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 05:58 PM
TomW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noices from my '98 Ram

Hello, I just found your site and I am hopeful for some suggestions. I currently have a '98 Ram 1500 5.2 with ~95k miles, 5 speed manual. Within the last week, I'm hearing a squealing noice that seems to be coming from the left side of vehicle. I cannot pinpoint whether it is front or rear, nor if it's coming from the wheels (maybe a stone lodged). But the squeal comes and goes, and I can not associate it with accelerating,turning or braking or coasting. It does not occur while just idling. I did notice I was low on Power steering fluid , but have since filled the reservoir to no avail. Also, just yesterday, There is a new sound. Like a scraping sound coming from the right side. The sound came and went , but has happened twice thus far. Within the last 2 months I have had a new intake put on,plus plugs and wires, (another prob.) as well as a new water pump, (different problem) by the dealer. Now this has come up, and hate to take these symptoms to them, without at least having some idea as to the cause. Because, more than likely, it won't happen while they are diagnosing. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the matter. Thank you very much, and I'm glad I've found this forum.
Regards,
Tom

Old 03-10-2004, 06:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Strange noices from my '98 Ram

Does this only happen when te truck is moving? Need more details as to when it happens. My truck has a squeek that shows up only after I put it in gear (drive) which makes me think it may be in the tranny, it drives me crazy but still can't pin it down.

The cat-converter may be bad resulting in the scrapping sound... was told that the brick inside the cat broke & was causing a rattle that could be mistaken for scrapping...

HTH
-steve

Old 03-10-2004, 07:02 PM
TomW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange noices from my '98 Ram

Hello Steve,
The squeal is when the truck is moving. Like I stated earlier, I cannot pinpoint it to any particuliar action of the vehicle (ie, turning,braking accelerating). It comes and goes.
Now the scraping sound was a definate "scrape" noise, I was thinking maybe transfer case? But guessing. And like I stated earlier, this was just a 2 time occurance since yesterday, and briefly.

Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Strange noices from my '98 Ram