Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Funny tinging noise under the hood, stock ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Landshark9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funny tinging noise under the hood, stock ram

I haven't tried using a different octane. The manual says to use 87, so that's what I have been using. I can't remember for sure, but I think it says don't use above that because it'd be a waste.

I have tried MANY different gas stations, BP/Amoco, Shell, Mobil, Thornton, etc... They all do it at the same RPM.

If this is indeed pinging then it will be easier to describe to the dealer. I can just tell him it's pinging.

It's been a while since I looked at the Haynes manual, but can pinging be caused by a dirty or bad fuel line?

Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
04GTX
Rookie

not for sure on the dirty/bad fuel line, but throw a full tank of 91 or 92 in there and see if it helps or not, i mean it's only $5 more a tank and is a quick test??? and i've read new articles out also that say if you use more octane that what is needed it can actually reduce power!!! but it would be nice to get rid of the pinging if that helps!! as if i'm correct (doubt it) but the pinging is predetination and that's what you're hearing!!

Old 03-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Landshark9

I'll try 92 or 93 on the next tank. Octanes tend to be 87, 89, 92/3 around here.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:05 AM
04GTX
Rookie

that's not fair, i have to settle for searching hard for 92 when i want it, except when i was in texas ,down by houston!!

Old 03-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Landshark9

Ack. That sucks. My other vehicle won't take anything less than 92 and it gets filled once a week.

Old 03-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Landshark9

I put a tank of 93 in a few days ago. I'm at about 60 miles right now. Initially the tinging was consistant with the previous tank but I'm guessing I was still running out the last of the 87 (well, mixing it with the 93 at least). I'm gonna put in another tank of 93 next week to see if the condition improves.

But as it is right now, the noise still happens, but it's much more difficult to reproduce. I got it to ting 4 times on the way home (20 mile ride) and I was trying to make it do it most of the ride. It was 4 separate instances and not 4 in a row. They were all different in volume as well. One was quite loud, the others were much softer.

Tuesday I'll try it on the highway at about 70 mph and see if I can get the rapid fire tings to go.

Old 03-21-2004, 01:24 PM
orange r/t

what engine is in your truck? really does sound like a ping. sounds like intake gaskets are leaking. check for service bulletins on year and model of your truck and i'll bet there will be similiar coincidences

Old 03-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Landshark9

It's a 5.2 V8. Where do I check for service bulletins? (heading off to dodge.com right now)

Old 03-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Nightrider1

You don't have to stick to the Champion spark plugs.. I use Bosch platinum in my 95 1500,5.9L . I immediately noticed a boost in performance, I tow with this truck, usually a car trailer.

Old 03-22-2004, 03:19 AM
goatslayerwp

I agree with nightrider1, I would go with the bosch platnum or platnum 2's. I dont even like having champions in my lawn mower.

Quick Reply: Funny tinging noise under the hood, stock ram