Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

dodge diesel vs ford diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:18 PM
bubbleburster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge diesel vs ford diesel

Okay my dad was probably going to get a new truck within the year or so, so I was kinda hinting to him a new megacab is coming out and shwoing him all the specs n stuff.But i was wanting to know how the dodge diesel stacks up against the top ford diesel and if n e one got suggestions all info in appreciated.I was kinda already tellign him not to buy fords cause all the construction companies i been with usually all have fords as company trucks and those damn things are always breaking down.so yeah what you guys think?

Old 07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dodge diesel vs ford diesel

Aside from the truck itself, if you just shop the engine, the Dodge comes out way on top. The Cummins is a real medium duty engine whereas the Powerstroke (made by navistar, a GM company iirc) is a beefy light duty engine. Ask the owner of the fastest f-350 out there. He got tired of trying to make power out of his 'Stroke and he swapped in a Cummins.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:38 PM
bubbleburster

thanks yeah i know the cummings is the best for diesel was wondering bout the rest of the truck aswell tranny brakes etc seems to me fords really get crappy once 1 thing starts to go the whole truck goes.but hey they sure make good air conditioning systems hehe

Old 07-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Drew
Professional

best thing to do would be to test drive each truck.

I already knew I was going to get my ram, I just had to drive the Ford to cement the deal.

the first thing I noticed was whenever you needed to accelerate the tranny downshifted and the engine SCREAMED near the redline and gave lackluster acceleration. the dodge auto on the otherhand did not downshift no matter how far I pushed the go-pedal. however, the harder I pushed the pedal, the more I was pushed back into the seat and the only thing I heard screaming was the turbo.

however I got the 6spd instead

I get better mileage than the fords, however I dont have the top-end but I can do something they cant. . .leave two nice skid marks going into 5th gear[sm=gears.gif].

the Cummins engine also has 40% fewer moving parts. thats a 40% less chance of something going wrong in the engine which the Ford is natorious for also torque, the Cummins hits 610lb-ft at only 1600rpm and holds all the way to redline the ford hits 570lb-ft at 2200, but then drops off quick after that.

over all the Cummins engine has few modifications done by DC, the engine is pretty much pure when it comes off the Cummins assembly line. the International Navistar that is delivered to Ford is worked over once again before it goes into the truck and by doing this is where most of the problems occur.

I have a picture somewhere of the comparison between the Ford, Chevy and Dodge diesel offerings, the ford is by far the smallest and cheapest looking, the duramax comes in the middle, the rods look much beefier than the fords. then there is the Cummins. . .the piston is massive, the rod is massive, everything is massive so is can withstand the abuse these engines recieve and can still go after 500,000 miles and still give the same performance as when it rolled off the lot.

now the fords engine is a good engine, but it's a crapshoot. you either get a good one, or you get one that stays in the shop longer than in your garage. the Cummins on the other hand will be rolling on the road, what brings the truck in is something other than the engine. my truck has nearly 20,000 and it has yet to see the inside of the shop. yet a co-workers ford has been to the dealer more times then he wishes to express

Old 07-05-2005, 05:58 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I'm a big fan and if I get a diesel I would really like a F-250 with the 7.3L in it. Since we are talking new and the new Fords have the 6.0L It has too many problems still not worked out for me and I'm just not a big fan of it. Dodge beats it hands down when it comes to engines. I think they Dodge with a Cummins and Manual tranny would be hard to beat. If we are talking auto's Ford seems to have a better auto transmission. Interior wise Dodge's seem to be nicer but they are both fine. REally it is preference. I would pick a 03 or before F-250 probably but if going with a new one probably would have to say a Dodge.

Old 07-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Saint
Veteran

The basic architechture of the Cummins engine is also superior to a Powerstroke. The Cummins is an I-6 which is what you want for a Diesel engine, if you look at any vehicle or HE gear heavy duty Diesel you will pretty much only find Straight-6 engines.

Quick Reply: dodge diesel vs ford diesel