Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Towing and Overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Nite_Ryder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing and Overdrive?

I purchased a 97 ram 2500 4x4 a few years back and only did light local towing. When i got it i didnt get the owners manuale. my question is i will be towing an encloses 18' trailer when i move soon about 1500 miles. What is the proper thing to do as far as the overdrive off button? highway on or off? ill asume off on local roads.[&:]

Old 03-20-2004, 06:35 PM
orange r/t
Default RE: Towing and Overdrive?

really depends what gears are in the truck. trans cooler is the best way and leave overdrive off. say goodbye to gas though.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Ratchet
Rookie

Just a general rule of thumb here. If you're towing on mostly flat roads, you might be okay leaving overdrive on. If you notice the transmission downshifting a lot, or hunting for gears, turn it off. It will be easier on gas and on your motor and trans with overdrive off if it won't actually stay in overdrive. The torque converter clutch will still lock in 3rd gear when overdrive is off, so it won't be so bad. Better to save you trans and spend a little more on fuel...

Old 03-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Arcane
Rookie

Not sure on the 97, but for the new models (2002+) the owners manual says O/D always off. Also to put it in neutral and rev the engine while at stop signs/red lights to help cool the transmission down.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:07 AM
Palm
Professional

My owners manual does not state that you must turn overdrive off when towing. Like a post above suggests, and the owners manual also suggests, if you are in hilly terrain or if the transmission tends to "hunt" gears a lot (downshifts and upshifts a great deal) you would be well advised to turn overdrive off. You will be the judge of this, you will be able to tell if the vehicle is struggling or not, and if it struggles with the load, I would not use overdrive as this will dangerously overheat the tranny. If the load you are pulling is too close to the borderline for the trucks capacity, it will "hunt" gears even on level ground. You need to determine the weight of the trailer as you will be towing it, and add the weight of any objects in the truck, including passengers, and ascertain that you are not exceeding the towing weight limit of your vehicle.

If the vehicle you bought was equipped from the factory with the towing package it will have the tranny oil cooler and heavy duty radiator. One way to determine this is if the truck has a factory installed 7-pin trailer connector at the rear. You can also check in front of the radiator for the oil cooler if you know what they look like.

If we can help any further, let us know. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Nightrider1

Hope this helps.. Overdrive use will depend on where you are.. I tow with OD off with my truck locally. Or in Hill conditions.. I have 3:55 gears in mine.. I have towed across Nebraska to Omaha, once I was on the plains and no hills I ran OD. You are correct about it hunting, If it sees a hill mine goes into the hunt mode also, best thing to do is turn off the OD and as stated "say good bye to fuel mileage"

Quick Reply: Towing and Overdrive?