Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Which plugs do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Tempsho
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which plugs do you recommend?

I am planning on changing my spark plugs on my 1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.2L Question is, what plugs should I opt for? Also, I am pretty sure it has the original wires also. Should I change them as well, and if so, what brand is a good choice? BTW, my truck has about 70,000 miles, or 120,000 km's. which ever part of North America you are from

Old 03-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which plugs do you recommend?

I would suggest sticking with original Champion plugs, plug #SP0RC12LC4. I have seen alot of people go to a different plug and have less than positive results. Saw a guy put split-fire plugs in his 5.2L and his fuel milage went down and his performance was poorer.
At 70.000 miles its time to change wires also. Wouldn't hurt to change the dist.cap and rotor button

Old 03-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Tempsho
Professional

I pulled out my plugs a few minutes ago, and they are black Champion plugs (From what you said, probably originals)

So, go with Champion plugs. What should I get as far as dist cap and wires?

ALSO, when I pulled the plugs out and smelled them (they looked pretty clean) they smelled like raw gas REALLY REALLY bad. What could cause this? Is it possible my truck could be running rich? It only gets about 15 mpg.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:39 PM
98 SS/T

i would recommend trying NGK V power plugs. Excellent spark plug for a low price. Wires, I would recomment MSD Ignition 8.5 mm superconductors. You'll get more spark because they have only 40 - 50 ohms per foot of wire

Old 03-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Ratchet
Rookie

I too have heard to not use anything except the Champion spark plugs in these trucks. Since I've heard it from more than one person, as well as on this board, I'm going to stick with them. As for the wires, I mentioned this in a previous post, I had MSD Superconductors on my last truck and they wore out in about 20K miles. The one going from the coil to the cap actually quit working, and caused my truck not to start on several occasions. Honestly, for the money you'll spend on high performance plug wires, you won't really notice much (if any) difference. This is just based on my experience. Others may have had good results, but for the amount of problems that could arise, I'd stick with the stock ones.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory original dist. cap works great, Part # 53008767 and is around $11.00, the rotor button,Part # 53008778 is about $6.00. These work good together and as inexpensive as after market ones. Factory wires, Part #4728037AF are about $40.00. If you get aftermarket wires, buy a good name brand. I run ACCELL on my stang and they are great. I have never seen any plug but a Champion work in a Dodge. I see it everyday, people put in another brand plug and their Dodge runs like crap. When I tell them to put in Champions they don't believe me that there is that much difference, but then they call me and thank me for showing them an easy fix.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Tempsho
Professional

Thanks for the info guys.

Any insight as to why my plugs really smell like gas though?

Old 03-22-2004, 01:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Autolite 3923's (non-platum) are the only way to go, been dyno'd for up to 5 hp by other board members.

On your gas smell, check your fuel pressure, I'll bet it's out of spec (35-45 psi). I've got the same problem & my FP is 49 psi @ idle. I'm working on a fix that hopefully will improve overall gas milage and will post results here when done.

Quick Reply: Which plugs do you recommend?