Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Question about filter change with syn oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
FireRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about filter change with syn oil

I'm looking at switching over to synthetic motor oil. Probably Mobil 1 as it's more available in my area than Amsoil. Should I still change the filter often, even if I'm going with the 15,000 miles between oil changes?

Old 08-14-2005, 06:00 PM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: Question about filter change with syn oil

If you plan on going the 15,000 between changes I would change the filter every 5000 miles. I run the mobil1 EP and i still change my oil every 5000 miles (then again i'm kinda **** about stuff like that. While I agree with the benifits of synthetic I geuss i'm kinda old school in a way that i don't trust any oil products for 15,000 miles. I know that oils like mobil1 ep ,amsoil and others will make the 15000 oci with no problems just for my piece of mind I prefer 5000 oci. An oil change is no matter what the cost cheaper then changing a motor. so why not a little PM to cut cost down the road. the cleaner the engine the happier.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:55 AM
FireRam

So then why spend the extra $$? why not just use their clean 5000, or whatever it is?

Old 08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

The 5000 oil they carry now is just an organic oil with more syth. additives in it. The properties of a syn. are just so much superior to an organic oil. I look at it from this point of view the organic oil comes from the ground and can only be refined so far. If you look at it under magnifacation there is actually dirt particles suspended in the oil. A syn is produced in a lab controlled enviroment. synthetic oils are superior in the ereas of an oils job. synthetic tends to be a tad thinner then organic oil, its thinner but still meets the wieght requirement standards. I am an avid synthetic person and it is just my preference to change every 5000 like i said i'm **** when it comes to my oil. Alot of people will disagree with my logic I'm sure. Probaly even a waste but if I can change every 5000 and give myself piece of mind then to me it is worth it. I mean if fruit of the loom came out with anti bacterial underware you only had to change once a week would you do it or would you take a shower every day? I have customers of mine who change thier syn. every 3000 miles.

jobs of oil:
1) it cools
2)it cleans
3) it lubricates

Old 08-18-2005, 12:19 AM
CLIMAXVA

How many mile do you have on your truck. Because if you have too many miles on a vehicle and you swith to full syth. then your seals are going to leak. I know some people do not belive this, but syth. is such a cleaner oil than conventional. Therefore your seal after running conventional motor oil for so long will have build up on them, making them seal better too (in some ppls eyes). So when you put syth. oil in, it is much cleaner, smoother and better all around that it being to clean and leak through those built up seals.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:36 PM
DaHipaKea1313
Veteran

I've been using Castrol Syntec in my 34 Foot Ford V-10 motorhome and had an increase of about 1-2 mpg increase while towing a Sebring on a car dolly from NY to GA. I first drove from AZ to NY then did the switch. Has anyone had any "Bad" experiance with this oil?? I've had great results with it in everything I ran it in to include my 1996 2500 V-10 Ram (sometimes wish we still had this one)

Is Mobil 1 really worth the extra $$

Stay Cool, DaHipaKea

Old 08-23-2005, 06:26 PM
purdueranger
Veteran

I use it in my 318. Mobile 1 10w30 with the mobile 1 oil filter. Talked about this in my fluid power lecture today. Mobile one can filter up to 10 microns. Thats pretty dang good compared to mastercraft which is 25 microns. In military jets today they are working on filters that will filter out 1 micron particles. That will filter out bacteria. Water would taste a heck of alot better if they didn't have to use chemicals to make it clean.

Quick Reply: Question about filter change with syn oil