Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Leaking coolant from block, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 11:18 PM
spartanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant from block, help!

There is a few circular metal seals on the side of the block, close to the oil pan, but one of them is leaking coolant. It looks like this seal can be pried out and replaced with a new one but I'm unsure if it should be done or how I should do it. My last resort is pasting it over with some kinda of ceramic bond that you can buy from the local automotive store. Anybody have any ideas what I can do? I checked my Chiltons manual but it says nothing on there on how to replace this.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:24 AM
moriar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Leaking coolant from block, help!

looks like a freeze plug popped out, or atleast a little bit, goto a parts shop and by the variety pack of freeze plugs, and grab a nice pair of pliers and pull it out make sure to have alot of quik-dry,. alot of coolant will spill out, and after the coolant spills out place new plug in,

DISCLAIMER, MAKE SURE BLOCK IS COLD!!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also make sure the area is clean before you put the new freeze plug in.

morair is right, pull that one out. alot of auto shops that are crap take the easy way out and just take a large punch, puch that one into the block and put a new one in it's place, that will cause the engine to overheat VERY quick.

if your unsure as to the correct procedure or anything else you may need the auto parts store will point you in the right direction

Old 09-04-2005, 04:36 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They dont come out that easy! You may want to drill a small hole in the center and then run a sheet metal screw through that hole.. use the head of that screw to PRY on... with like a HAMMER or PRY bar.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: Leaking coolant from block, help!