Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

SCREAMING HEMIS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 03:13 AM
HemiBrian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCREAMING HEMIS

Not to sure with the CAI choice yet everybody seems to be raving about this AirRaid System but I still have heard no on speak about the AFE(AFEfilters.com). Is the CAI system not expost to get the best source of cold air flow possible? It seems the AFE is the way but no one is talking about it.

And in the way of Headers what has been working for people and what cat back is everybody running?

I was considering a Gibson header and Cat Back combo?????

Old 03-28-2004, 01:07 AM
IrvineDodgeGuy
Default RE: SCREAMING HEMIS

i've never heard of AFE before so i went to their website. they are claiming to gain 50hp and 112 ft-lbs of toque from an intake kit!? does anyone else smell bull ****? ford 7.3L is not a great motor but i find it hard to believe that ford's engineers screwed up that bad. what is more likely is that they took the lowest stock dyno run and the highest run with their intake kit... simply because they market their products that way i would never consider purchasing their products. they should not assume their customers are brain dead

Old 03-28-2004, 01:29 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

That really DOES sound strange... maybe AFE is in a "crunch" with their short air intakes since they don't do anything more than a K&N filter (if you wanna go REAL CAI, get the air intake out of the engine compartment, especially on a turbo). Desparate people do desparate things...

I can see WORDS from AFE sytem owners already...o well, science is science and physics is physics, can't change mother nature.

Old 03-28-2004, 03:34 AM
BigDave
Professional

The aFe Magnum is my front runner in my quest for a CAI. I found a current Hemi owner of system & I'm hoping to get some more info from him shortly. He doesn't have dyno results for the aFe only, but with aFe, magnaflow muffler, SISO 3" exhaust, he dynoed at 275hp & 301 lbs torque. Owners with varying intakes/exhaust systems have reported 254-267hp & 282-306 lbs torque dyno results. I would say the typical result is 259 hp & 280ft torque. All of these power numbers are at the rear wheels & not the crankshaft, so multiple the differences by by 33% for engine ratings. aFe hasn't posted dyno results yet. Performancecombo is claiming 27hp & 35lbs torque for the Hemi, but they maybe talking about lower rpms numbers rather than peak. TrueFlow has demonstrated that their suppoessedly outlandish claims, 19hp & 37lbs torque, from their dyno test was backed-up by an private owner from another forum showing even better numbers. TrueFlow's highest hp gain was at 2500rpm. At peak hp, their gain was only 6hp & at peak torque it was 0lbs torque. torque.

I like the location of the aFe inlet which is very low. I'm trying to find out about it's noise level & if an even larger filter can be attached.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:56 PM
BigDave
Professional

I got tired of waiting for the e-mail reply, so I ordered the aFe intake today. Hopefully I'll get to install it this weekend.

Here's a link from the Hemi Truck club. The dyno result takes a long while to load.

http://www.hemitruckclub.com/afemark.htm

Quick Reply: SCREAMING HEMIS