Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Lift Kit Harmful?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:33 AM
CaliHemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Kit Harmful?

Hello All,
I really want to lift my 04 QC Hemi 4x4 but after speaking with my uncle I wanted to get some more opinions before shelling out the 2 grand. First off, he said that I could kiss 4 more MPG, means I'd get about 10 MPG. That really doesn't sound right. 4 inch lift gonna cost me 4 more mpg? I'd expect maybe a loss of 1-2 mpg but 4!! Anyone else out there experienced a loss of mpg after lifting their truck? If so...how much? Also, he said that once you start messing with the truck it's gonna start causing problems. Now he's got me all worried that if I lift my truck it's gonna fall apart. Can anyone out there tell me what exactly what a lift does to a truck. What parts of the truck are more stressed after the lift. Will it void the warranty? How different will it ride after the lift. Sorry for all the questions, but I really wanna make sure I have all the facts before spending the 2 grand.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Redhawk996
Rookie
Default RE: Lift Kit Harmful?

I just installed a 6" lift on my 2wd '02 Ram QC (4.7L). Power still seems good and I haven't noticed any significant reduction in MPG. I have a Volant CIA coming in anyday now that will help out a bit and waiting patiently for Hypertech to come out with a programmer for my truck to take care of the speedo calibration and shifting points. Other than that, it's all good!
Mike

Old 03-30-2004, 03:02 AM
CaliHemi

awesome...so you really didn't notice acceleration loss?

Old 03-30-2004, 03:54 AM
rampage
Amateur

you will loose some acceleration loss, and some fuel economy... but over all you will be happy with a lift... you are gonna be replacing stock parts, with aftermarket (hopefully high quality parts).... what lift you looking at?

Old 03-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Connect

Fabtech lifts are nice, les schwab lifts are alright but cheap, the gas mileage should stay the same or even go up due to the larger tires, make sure you get your speedo adjusted It shouldnt harm anything other then giving your truck a rougher ride and a higher probability of rolling over.

It might void some parts of your warranty, check with your dealer before you do anything to it.

All a lift does is lengthen the shocks, driveline, some minor steering adjustments.

Old 03-30-2004, 09:39 PM
HemiBrian

I am also looking into lifting my truck
Ranch makes a nice leveling kit that gives you close to four inches and SkyJacker just came out with their bad *** 6' lift for that pickup also. I would stick with either rancho or skyjacker. You may have to re-gear your pickup too depending on what size tire you want to run. You will also be less aero-dynamic there will be a difference. But some people believe size does matter.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:58 PM
CaliHemi

Yes...I think size does matter. I was looking at the Rancho lift kit...the 6inch. I will be replacing all the stock parts when I get it done, new shocks, etc. You guys convinced me that I should get a lift kit for my truck. I wanted one before but when my uncle said I'll lose 4 MPG!! I almost freaked out...but now that I've been reassured that it won't be that bad I'm gonna get one...Probably in the next month

Old 03-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Connect

10 mpg - $100 a month
Big tires - $500 each
The look on your friends face when you run over his car - Priceless

That says it all.

Quick Reply: Lift Kit Harmful?