Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Does gas type matter

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004 | 10:52 PM
Monrozombi
|
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does gas type matter

I mean like the brand, Texaco, Sunonco, Hess, etc, I try to go where the premium or midgrade is a decent level, i live in Harrisburg PA so there are a lot so i like to shop around. I even go to walmart and put in the 93 octane because i have a sams card and save 5 cents. It likes the walmart stuff, and the Hess gas as well, Sheetz it isn't too nice to, I only put mid to premuim gas in it, have since the second tank and I did see some improvment by using the higher octanes, but does it matter which pump i go to.

Old 04-01-2004 | 11:02 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Does gas type matter

Buy the cheapest gas that your vehicle runs best on. As long as you're not getting heavy knocking under acceleration, you don't need a higher grade or higher octane unless you've done some serious mods to your engine. Check your owner's manual, it should have the minimum octane rating in it. A bottle of Techron every six months or so will help keep your intake valves and injectors clean as well...I use Chevron, it's got the Techron already in it...[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-01-2004 | 11:05 PM
Monrozombi
|
Rookie

thanks, we don't have chevron arouynd here so thats not help to me lol, i just like the higher octane because everyone i know says it runs cleaner my father in law says at least mid grade, he knows, he's worked on a lot of cars in his life and usually tells me what everyone says on here, i just didn't know if one comapny's gas was better then the rest

Old 04-01-2004 | 11:10 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I worked for Southwest Research and we tested gas, oil, tires and automotive A/C units...the engines were stripped down every 10,000 miles and inspected. Chevron/Texaco and Exxon/Mobil had the "cleanest" engines....be aware that formulas for gas change from season to season and area to area.....BTW, octane is just an indication of how well that particular grade of gas resists "knock", nothing more...[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-02-2004 | 12:19 AM
Monrozombi
|
Rookie

see, this just shows how much i don't know and how much i need to learn, thats why i am here, thanks

Old 04-06-2004 | 03:20 PM
LadyRam

I don't know if you can count on brand names so much. It isn't unusual for Brand company #1 to buy gasoline from brand company #2 because the #2 has local refineries in the area of #1's stores. I have heard this repeatedly.

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:40 AM
Ruslt
Rookie

I run low octane in all my Stock engines. I do run Higg octane in my "TOYS" due to the higher Compression and Knock. The manual for my 04 QC 4.7 list a Min 87 oc. I dont have any problems. Just remember never fuel while their is a tank truck refueling the station. it brings all the sediment out and guess where it goes! I worked @ a gas station while in High school. Man that was along time ago

Quick Reply: Does gas type matter