Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

QuadCab 5th Wheel Towing with storage box behind cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:33 AM
excelent3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QuadCab 5th Wheel Towing with storage box behind cab

Does anyone out there tow a 5th wheel with a storage box in their Quad Cab 1500 Short Box? I am looking at buying a Delta low profile box and it appears to me that it should not be in the way as far as clearance from the 5th wheel when cornering. It also appears that the box, (which is about 22" wide) should not interfere with the hitch itself...

Comments?/

Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM
sbutter21
Default RE: QuadCab 5th Wheel Towing with storage box behind cab

You need to get a slider hitch if you have a short box. You do have to be a bit careful if want to make a very sharp turn with the slider in the tow position (no problem if move the hitch to the maneuver postion but this slider position is only for very low speeds).

How heavy of a load you going to be towing?

Good luck,
Sam

Old 04-05-2004, 10:52 PM
excelent3

Sam-

I'm probably looking at towing around 7500 max, 30' approx.

EX3

Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 PM
sbutter21

Depending on pin weight of your trailer you should be able to manage. I hope you have a trans cooler if you have an auto.

Will you be running a brake controller too?
Which engine do you have?

With the gas prices I've seen, the thought of the gas mileage you'll get pulling a load like that makes me cringe, but hopefully it's something you are expecting and it won't be a shocker.

Good luck and drive safe.
Sam

Old 04-06-2004, 04:35 AM
excelent3

Sam-

It will be one way trips, mostly under 100 miles. I am a small RV dealer, and that would be the most I would tow. I have the new '04 Hemi, limited slip and 3.92 gears. Transmission cooler is built in standard. I barely have over 500 miles on the truck and is it sweet, in fact my first two tanks, I averaged almost 17 mpg. I towed a large popup camper today (about 2500 lbs) and the mileage only regressed about .5mpg...I am running 89 Octane... I hope to tow more 5th wheels, as they are much more stable to tow than a standard trailer the same weight....been there, done that.....to many close calls, the difference that saved my but was the Pull-Rite hitch I had on my 3/4 ton big bock Suburban....That hitch and the 6000 lb truck saved me more than once after getting hit by high wind gusts and the like....

I plan on mostly towing in the 4-6,000 lb range, so mostly 24-30' trailers, should handle it without to much trouble.....

In fact today I had a guy pull up next to me who rolled down his window and with obvious envy ask, " That Thing Got a Hemi????"

Quick Reply: QuadCab 5th Wheel Towing with storage box behind cab