Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

45RFE "multi-speed" trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 03:33 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 45RFE "multi-speed" trans

OK just wandering. Is this considered a 5 or 4 speed trans? I havent taken the truck and put it in each gear and hit the OD button to see if there is a difference or if OD only works in top gear. Yeah I know Im lazy hahaha

Old 04-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Ruslt
Rookie
Default RE: 45RFE "multi-speed" trans

On my window sticker it is listed as a Five speed auto. I havent been able to tell how many times it shifts while driving. I would guess that the fifth gear is the OD.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:52 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To start with, it's the same transmission used with the 4.7 engines. They were originally called the 45rfe and then they flashed the transmission for a lower 5th gear and they now call it a 5-45rfe. Here are the specs from www.allpar.com:

Chrysler's newest transmission in trucks is called either the 45RFE or 5-45RFE. RFE stands for rear wheel drive, fully electronic. These transmissions despite having different names are basically the same, except that the 5-45RFE has an extra overdrive ratio. the 5-45RFE does indeed use 5 ratios in its normal shift sequence. the 45RFE only uses 4 speeds in a normal shift sequence. BOTH trannies have alternate second gear ratios for kickdown. for instance when you floor the throttle at highway speeds the tranny will downshift to the taller numerical second gear ratio to help smooth out the downshift. Since the 5-45RFE goes through 5 ratios in a normal shift sequence, chrysler can call it a 5 speed automatic. Chrysler calls the 45RFE a multispeed tranny simply because of the two second gear ratios, but in a normal shift sequence it only uses 4 gears.

The 5-45RFE is supplanting the 45RFE in virtually all the trucks. Presumably that extra overdrive ratio in the 5-45RFE helps fuel mileage. Chrysler is able to "electronically" get another ratio out of the 45RFE planetary gearset. The extra ratio makes the tranny a 5-45RFE!

The 45RFE four speed plus kickdown automaticAn electronically-controlled transmission with five forward ratios including an alternate second gear ratio for improved performance for passing and better fuel economy was designed specifically for Jeeps (but was used later in Dodge trucks) starting with the 1999 Grand Cherokee V8.

The transmission features a tall, 3.00:1 first gear that gives the driver better initial acceleration. Real-time driver adaptive shifting fine-tunes the shift pattern to the driver, while an alternate second gear ratio gives the driver five forward ratios. During acceleration, second gear has a ratio of 1.67. Depending on speed and throttle position, both this gear and an alternate 1.50 second gear ratio are available for kick-down operation, making the down-shift smoother. Its reverse gear ratio is equal to the first gear ratio, to allow for heavier loads.

Other features include three planetary gear sets that combine the widest range of gear ratios available in any transmission in its class. Combined with precise step selections, this brings smooth shifts and maximum power and optimal fuel economy.

The transmission is built at the Indiana Transmission Plant in Kokomo, Indiana, in an all-new 1.2-million square-foot facility.

Bill,

Old 04-07-2004, 06:21 PM
gotsnow?

Bill,
Awesome reply, thanks for the info! I might just print that post for future refrence!!

Old 04-07-2004, 06:24 PM
HEMIDAZE

Very impressive sgbofav. Aren't you breaking a law or something by knowing that much about automatics? I do have a serious question or two. Is your knowledge limited to Dodge? I have an issue with my new HEMI. I traded in a 96 Chev 4 x 4 with 250 HP and 3.73 gears. I frequently run the length of I-75 in Kentucky with a 6000lb camper. The Chev would do it in overdrive with the occocasional expected downshift. The Dodge with 345 HP and 3.92 gears won't do it. Quite frankly with 95 more HP and lower gears I was hoping for better. It feels like the OD is a lot higher than the Chev. This isnt about gas milage or anything because I made the trip in the Chev once with OD and once without and got the same milage. It's just a real one on one comparison. And don't get me wrong, I like the Dodge better.

Quick Reply: 45RFE "multi-speed" trans