Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

5.7L = What Size

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:59 PM
Saint
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5.7L = What Size

ORIGINAL: black_radiation

wasnt that 345 horse to the crank or was it at the wheels? im highly doubtful at the wheels but some manufacturers rate it at the wheels.
The only manufacturer that I could say with some confidence rates their HP at the wheels is Ducati and they only produce Motorcycles.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:39 AM
2004 Hemi Quad
Professional

It is a 348 ci

Old 11-05-2005, 04:04 AM
clemson725
Professional

The conversion factor is 61. 5.7 x 61 = 347.7 Different manufacturers round it differently. But the question is does dodge round the 345 or the 5.7. Look at hemi.com. it lists the 5.7 hemi as 3.92 bore and 3.58 stroke. Some quick math gives a total of approx. 345.47 cubic inches. So........345.47/61 = 5.66. Looks like dodge rounds the liter number.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Saint
Veteran

GM did the same thing with the LS1, that engine is a 345 as well, but it was always considered a 5.7L. Because it comes out to 5.65 or 5.66L makes it a 5.7L because of the simple rule of rounding numbers. If it's 5 or higher then round up, 4 or lower round down.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:04 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

maybe im full of crap...but i do believe that any 5.7 hemi newer than 2003 is a 348, the older ones are 345...and all car manufacts. rate hp at the crank, not the wheels...5.7 350 was gmc/chevy old engine, i had it in a 93' gmc sierra, another thing that seems to me some of you missed is that new hemis cant be compared to old ones...you dont compare a moldy apple to a new one, you just throw the old one away...furthermore a hemi is not a "brand" of an engine, hemi in short stands for hemispherical...where the head meets the block is a hemispherical shape, thus making it burn gas more efficiently...16 plugs as well...jesus i love being smart, and i didnt even have to look any of this up prior to the pizzost...Love always, Michael-

Old 12-15-2005, 02:00 PM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tamuccmike

maybe im full of crap...but i do believe that any 5.7 hemi newer than 2003 is a 348, the older ones are 345...and all car manufacts. rate hp at the crank, not the wheels...5.7 350 was gmc/chevy old engine, i had it in a 93' gmc sierra, another thing that seems to me some of you missed is that new hemis cant be compared to old ones...you dont compare a moldy apple to a new one, you just throw the old one away...furthermore a hemi is not a "brand" of an engine, hemi in short stands for hemispherical...where the head meets the block is a hemispherical shape, thus making it burn gas more efficiently...16 plugs as well...jesus i love being smart, and i didnt even have to look any of this up prior to the pizzost...Love always, Michael-

YOU LOVE BEING SMART! LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Here's some news for ya buddy. There is nothing in your post that is not already common knoledge here, so shut your arrogant pie hole bud.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

well dude, "common knowledge" is a very subjective term...i was trying to help the guy out who made the original post...anyway it's probably common knowledge to you since you sell dodges...other than that, keep your lame comments to your lame self

Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 PM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

Sure, I realize that this stuff is not "common knoledge" to everyone, otherwise we wouldn't need a forum for people to ask questions, but your post was very condescending to everbody, and his question had already been answered before you opened your big mouth.

Ok, let's go over your post again. Your words, not mine.

maybe im full of crap... {YEAH, PROBABLY TRUE}but i do believe that any 5.7 hemi newer than 2003 is a 348, the older ones are 345...and all car manufacts. rate hp at the crank, not the wheels...5.7 350 was gmc/chevy old engine, i had it in a 93' gmc sierra, another thing that seems to me some of you missed{STARTS GETTING MORE ARROGANT HERE} is that new hemis cant be compared to old ones...you dont compare a moldy apple to a new one, you just throw the old one away{HMM, MAYBE I SHOULD JUST THROW THAT OLD 426 AWAY. OH, BUT WAIT, DON'T THE HEADS ON THE OLD "HEMI" HAVE "HEMISPHERICAL" CUMBUSTION CHAMBERS AS WELL? HMM, SEEMS TO ME THERE IS SOMETHING TO COMPARE HERE}...furthermore a hemi is not a "brand" of an engine,{DUH!} hemi in short stands for hemispherical...where the head meets the block is a hemispherical shape,{NO, THE CUMBUSTION CHAMBER IS HEMISPHERICAL} thus making it burn gas more efficiently...16 plugs as well...jesus i love being smart,{UH, EXCUSE ME, YOU JUST GAVE INCORRECT INFO IN YOUR LAST BREATH} and i didnt even have to look any of this up prior to the pizzost{MAYBE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD IDEA, HUH ED?}...Love always, Michael-{THERE ARE PLENTY OF PEOPLE HERE ON THE FORUMS WHO CAN GIVE EVEN MORE DETAIL WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK UP ANYTHING. DON'T GET TO FEELING TO SPECIAL.}

Your post didn't contain any new info to "help" the original poster, and was mostly just a repeat of what had already been said, mixed with a lot of attitude. If you can't read your own post and see any of this, I feel sorry for you. As far as my "lame" comments go, I'm not the one rambling on about a subject I don't know anything about, so I see your little "7 year old kid's logic not so snappy comeback" post as pretty damn lame. LOL. Have a nice day.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

Here is a list of HEMI 5.7 specs for anyone who may have use for it.

Bore x Stroke 3.92 x 3.58 in, 99.5 x 90.9 mm
Valve System pushrod, 16-valve, hydraulic roller lifters
Block Construction cast iron, deep skirt, cross-bolted main caps
Centerline of crank to head deck face 9.3 inches
Centerline of crank to centerline of cam 7.4 inches
Centerline of crank to oil pan rail 2.6 inches
Overall block maximum deck width at deck face 18.3 inches
Overall block height from
oil pan rail to top of water outlet 15.4 inches
Overall engine length 21.1 inches
Compression Ratio 9.6:1
Combustion chamber volume 84.9cc
Intake valve angle 18 degrees
Intake valve head diameter 50.8mm, 2.00 inches
Exhaust valve angle 16y.5 degrees
Exhaust valve head diameter 39.4mm, 1.55 inches
Oil Capacity 7 qt., 6.6L
Weight (includes induction, wiring harness,
auto-trans flexplate and exhaust manifolds,
but not accessories) 485 lbs
Ignition Two spark plugs per cylinder

Old 12-15-2005, 07:19 PM
QuickSilver05
Veteran

Here is a good article with some good illistrations that show how a HEMI works in basic form. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi.htm

Quick Reply: 5.7L = What Size