Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Need To Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:31 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need To Wax

Ok don't Laugh, I have NEVER waxxed a Car / Truck before. I ALWAYS took somewhere because I was Lazy like that BUT nobody touches my Hemi and I just washed it cause we are actually going to have SUN for 4 days straight (almost un heard of in Seattle). SO I need to wax it tomorrow. My Dad actually bought me a Buffer for XMAS this little Turtle Wax brand Buffer, anyway I'm sure that will work BUT

Which Wax is BEST for Black Clearcoat?

Also How do I get ALL those stupid minor scratches out... The black shows every minor detail and I just found this NASTY looking Swirly scratch on my hood

And what is the best way apply the wax? with the buffer?

Am I going to F up my Truck if I do this since I'm a newb at waxing? any tips?

stop laughing

Old 04-08-2004, 07:39 PM
sreitz
Default RE: Need To Wax

If your a newbie I would put the buffer down. To much pressure and your clear coat will be gone. Keep pressing and you'll see primer. Good old fassion elbow grease is the best way to go untill you get a handle on what you are doing. The only way to get scratches out is to buff them out of the clear coat. Over the counter remidies will only last a few washes at best.

As for wax I like meguires Gold glass for clear coats. Just make sure its good and clean before you start. I wouldnt wait one day to wash it and then wax it the next day.

I'm going to try some detailing clay over the weekend. I'll post my results if I remember.

How many more posts do I need to catch up to Dodgegirl?

Old 04-08-2004, 07:56 PM
MAYOR

If the buffer you have is a orbital, you should be fine to apply the wax with it. The oribital will not burn thru your clear, but still be careful and not apply too much pressure. Also, do not run the buffer over any sharp edges. DO THOSE BY HAND. As far as removing scratches and swirl marks, those really need to be buffed out with a professional buffer with adjustable RPM's. Since your inexperienced I would leave that alone. As far as wax goes, I also am a Meguiars Gold Class guy. For the $$ is does a good job and is easy to apply and remove. Another good tip...when removing the wax be sure to use a 100% cotton terry towel and not a poly/cotton blend.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:21 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

What is an orbital exactly? Mine is a little hand held buffer that spins.

Excellent Tips, thank you very much. I need to learn how to do this because the scratches are driving me crazy.

Is it a BAD idea to apply some Meguires Body Scrub before I wax? to remove sap and bugs?

So if my Buffer is an orbital, I just apply the wax to the buffer and gently go ever all smooth areas and hand wax sharp corners or edges by hand. then I wipe smooth with a 100% Terry Cloth. I don't want to wipe with the wax off with the buffer? Or should I just do this Mister Maigi (Me-ah-gi) style? Wax on Wax off?

I should just Call my Pops and tell him to help me since he never tought me how to do this when I was a Kid... the jerk never taught me how to tie a tie either.... 23 and I can't Wax my own truck or Tie a Tie...
I'm pathetic, jesus.

Old 04-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Deviousin10tions
Professional

You should try either Nufinish in the orange bottle, or if you're really into babying your toys and have the cash to do it, Zymol Car Spa set.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:27 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

Cool thanks for the tips, I just woke up and I'm on my way to the Auto shop to buy some Wax. When I'm done I will post some pics Thanks for all the help everyone.

Ian

Old 04-09-2004, 05:47 PM
mikegonzo
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/tm.asp?m=15084

All was mentioned in the topic "detailing tips anyone?"

Best for BLACK

Also, here is my quick 2 cents on Quick Spray on Auto Detailers....

They are good, especially for black BUT ONLY if you use a proper towerl (Microfiber). That way
you will prevent swirls and fine hairline scratches. It is a SIN to use a cotton or terry towel...
ALWAYS use MicroFiber...invest in about 5 or 10 of these towels, and wash them once a week.
Microfiber holds and pulls the dust away safely and won't re-distribute or rub your trucks finish
with the dirt.

Anyways, Turtle Wax has a new product that is their PLATINUM line. I have tried it, and if you live
in an area that has bugs that are attracted to sweet, then forget about this line. I sprayed the auto
detailer on my truck, and the next day it was bug city adhered to the stuff. It was a pain getting the bugs
and guts off....My best recommendation for Quick Spray Detailers are SONUS and Black Magic for Dark
colored paints.

Ok, hope you read that detailing tips....it will do you wonders for you Black Clear coat with far less effot
and far greater results down the road.

Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

Ok yea that was helpful, next time I prolly should just search.

damn good response. Thank you... I'm printing that and saving it

Old 04-09-2004, 09:33 PM
ANIMAL
Amateur

On black ive allways used Mothers 3 step.Its kinda pricy but works real good.The first step is a pre wax cleaner,the second is a anti swirl it helps to hide minor scratchs from washing and the swirl marks from using a buffer,then the third is the wax pur carnuba. Its a lot of work but when your done you will be able to count the hair's on your head in it, that is if you have hair just kiding.
ANIMAL

Old 04-09-2004, 10:46 PM
yawnshemi420
Captain

DONE!!!! She Looks AWESOME... She looks better than when I picked her up from the dealer.

Thanks everyone. I'll post pictures as soon as the gf comes home with the camera.