Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

A few Q's on truck bed options

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:55 PM
plunked
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Q's on truck bed options

Hello there,
New poster. Have another few weeks til I get my new factory ordered 04 1500 slt reg.cab,sb, 4x2, 5.7, 3.55.
Have been exploring liner and cover options and have a few questions.
I really like the photos ive seen of the "fold-a-cover". What id like to know is if its possible to use a regular cap, and still leave all the mounting hardware in place. In other words, Can i remove the fold-a-cover top, and conveniently put a fiberglass topper over the back of the truck, without removing fold-a-cover mounting hardware? Will the rail mounting system allow for a cap to be secured?
My other question is along the same line
Dont know if id do it or not, but just wondering, could you put a spray-
in liner, and then put the "bed rug" over the spray liner? How easy is the bed rug to remove and replace?
Trying to see just how versatile i could get with the bed of my new truck.(or if i could go completely broke!).
A bed rug would suit most of my needs perfectly, however, I would like the option of removing it for messy duty (firewood, garbage, fish, engine parts, etc.), and still have a liner.
Thanks for any thoughts, solutions or feedback anyone might have.
plunked

Old 04-11-2004, 10:22 PM
mazz
Veteran
Default RE: A few Q's on truck bed options

Most fiberglas tonneaus that I'm aware of would require the rail system for the fold-a-cover be removed. So you either have one system on or the other.

You can install a BedRug over a spray-in liner. However, the velcro strips that are required for installation of the BedRug, most likely won't adhere as well to the spray-in liner. As long as you have a tonneau cover installed and closed, you could get by not installing all the velcro strips for the BedRug. Drive it once, however, with the tonneau off or open and you could be saying bye-bye to the BedRug.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:42 PM
plunked

Thanks for your input, but as fars as the fiberglass top, i meant a regular shell style, not a fiberglass tonneau cover.
thanks again
plunked

Old 04-12-2004, 11:57 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

For the fiberglass "Topper" any rail mounting system for the fold cover that sits on top of the bed rail would have to go. I am not familiar with the folding cover. The topper sits ontop of the bedrail and then is help on by modified C-clamps. Also to the bed liner questions. In my opinion that having a sprayin liner then a bed rug is the way to go. Checkerpro.com is a factory outlet and they have the cheapest prices that I have seem. I think that the bed rug is $150+s&h. When i get the chance thats the set up that I am going with. As for the velcro I was thinking of either changing the velco to snaps, which means drilling holes for the snap receiver or making metal tabs and mounting the backside of the the velcro on it, still requiring holes for the pop-rivots. I had Linex sprayed in on a different truck and the finish was semi smooth and glossy, I think that using velcor might work on that. But the liners like Rhino that are highly rough then an alternate mounting might have to be used. And finally a another method would be to have magnets sewn into the sides of the bedrug and then even fashion up a tie cord through the bottom drain holes in the bed with a backing plate. Sort of like a shirt button setup. Wow when bored the mind can come up with all kinds of wacky ways.

Quick Reply: A few Q's on truck bed options