Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Rat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice!

Hey Gang,

First post to the Dodge Forum!

I've got an '02 1500 QC 4x4 with the 4.7L. I made a mistake when I bought the truck and should have purchased what I wanted which was a Laramie 5.9L.

Needless to say, I'm looking to get out of the 1500. I was thinking of stepping up to a 2500 with the new Cummins, but I need to know realistically what the differences would be. I've heard the Cummins' get better gas mileage than the gassers, but is it a significant difference? How is a Cummins in daily driving? I don't tow anything heavy, though I've maxed my payload more than a couple times on the 1500.

I know there are diesel mods out there, but how do they compare to the gas alternatives? I'm not looking for a hot rod, but I hate keeping a vehicle stock

Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Ratchet
Rookie
Default RE: Need Advice!

My sister has an '01 dually with the cummins and the manual trans, and I believe she said she's getting about 24mpg. She does a lot of hauling, and also tows a good sized horse trailer. She seems very happy with it.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 PM
MAYOR

Gas mileage is definitely better with a Diesel.....I also believe the new Cummins is much quieter than past years....I've got a 4.7, but my brother has a 2500 diesel and I know he gets 20-22 mpg.

Old 04-14-2004, 07:16 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

I am seriously considering a cummins powered Ram myself...though it may be a year or two away!!

They are good strong engines with goon MPG, and damn...are they modable!!!

I know of more than a few 450+ HP Cummins out there...and a few in the 12's

Old 04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

Iminthe same boat, shudda gone with smokey. Just a note on diesel mods. BULLDOG makes a muti-step tuner that you dial in the performance lever that you want. Saw them install it on Trucks! tv show. I think it went over 500hp. It also had propane vs NOS. www.truckstv.com had it in the website.

Quick Reply: Need Advice!