Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Exhaust/muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 12:44 PM
AVI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust/muffler question

In my previous post Need more pulling power it was suggested that I look at the exaust system to get a bit of increased power so now I have a few more questions.

The CAT was just changed so I know its not clogged any longer and it helped increase power but I'm wondering about replacing the muffler. Do mufflers get clogged like cats and develop a decrease in performance? What I'm wondering is if I would notice a difference by just replacing the muffler with a stock version or should I put on an aftermarket muffler? If an aftermarket high performance is suggested can you suggest an INEXPENSIVE model that will improve performance, give a deep gurgle but not be obnoxiously loud (my family is in there most of the time so I dont want it to be loud and annoying but I still want it to sound good).

Thanks for helping a noob.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:17 PM
dodgefreak
All Star
Default RE: Exhaust/muffler question

No, not realy. Normaly the only time a muffler goes bad is when it rusts out and/or gets a hole.

The reason the Cats clog is because...well...thats what they are there for. The honey comb like "guts" of the cat are designed to scrub the exhaust and clean it up. But doing that the particles in the exhaust builds up over time and clogs the Cat.

The mufflers just re route the exhaust in such a way as to minimize sound. Thay are pretty much just a metal can with a maze set up inside.

Getting a performance muffler will give you noticable gains over your stock set up. Based on what you are looking for the Flowmaster 40 series is your best bet. They are one of the most inexpensive, yet reliable performance mufflers out there. If you are just changing the muffler then the extra sound will not be extreamly dramatic.

The magnaflow mufflers are quieter with simular performance gains but cost twice as much. You should be able to find a 2.5 inch in /2.5 inch out Flowmaster 40 series muffler for around 60 bucks. If you have a cutting wheel, sawz all, or even a hack saw you can swap out the muffler in your own driveway. Just cut the old one out and clamp the new one in. You may need a 2.5 diamiter extention because the flowmaster is a much smaller muffler than stock as well as 3 2.5 diamiter clamps, and pipe expanders that can be rented from autozone

Old 04-23-2004, 03:52 PM
AVI

New question time. I called several muffler/performance shops and they suggested to increase the pipe size back from the cat from 2.5" to 3" and installing a muffler such as the Magnaflow or Flowmaster. Do you think its worth it to change the pipe size as well as the muffler or would just changing the muffler work nearly as well?
BTW, I'm leaning a bit more toward the Magnaflow because I've heard the Flowmasters are noisier and I'm sure the wife wouldnt like that on a long trip pulling the trailer.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:01 PM
MAYOR

Just want to be careful by increasing the pipe size. If you eliminate too much back pressure you lose torque on the bottom end.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:43 PM
AVI

Do you think increasing it to 3" would eliminate too much back pressure?

Old 04-24-2004, 01:50 AM
dodgefreak
All Star

cost and loss of back preasure if all you are doing is looking for tow power...I would say stay with the 2.5

Old 04-24-2004, 12:04 PM
stupidface
Professional

i thought the cats provided enough back pressure, thats why there so restrictive, oh well,i ran the 3inch after cat into a 40 super series out into a wye adapter into to 3in dualed out the rear and its got that qiet (heres a monster hinding in ur motor sound) i have had lots of compliments plus it sounds beffy as hell

Old 04-26-2004, 12:27 PM
AVI

UPDATE: I had a Magnaflow installed this weekend and opened it up to 3" from the rear O2 sensor back so it was kind of a compromise between opening it up all the way to the cat and not. The truck sounds REALLY good now and makes itself very present until it hits overdrive then it is nearly inaudible except for a low pitched rumble which isnt annoying at all. I do believe it added a bit of power because on the hills that used to make it kick down in gears only made the torque converter unlock. I'm not sure if it lowered the low end torque yet because I havnt pulled my trailer yet (next weekend) but on normal street driving it doesnt appear to have dropped it.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:38 PM
R6Luver

I have a 40 Series Original Flow (Flowmaster) for sale. It's never even been out of the box. A buddy of mine went together with me, and we bought 2 at one time, and I decided I didn't want mine, since I would like to get a new truck soon. It's a 3 inch single inlet with dual 2.5 inch outlets. If your interested, I can ship it to your door for $65.00. Thanks

R6Luver

Old 04-26-2004, 01:39 PM
AVI

As I stated in the post above:
I had a Magnaflow installed this weekend

Quick Reply: Exhaust/muffler question