Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen? I need some input

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
BlackPearl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen? I need some input

Hi out there,

I guess there have been numerous discussions bout this issue, but what I really need right now before I run the search option is to have a fair assessment that may help me decide whether to better switch from my current 2nd Gen to a 3rd Gen RAM truck or not.
My current truck is a 2nd Gen 1500, '01, 4x4, 5.9, Sport QC, Short Bed. It's still in stock condition, no mods have been done yet. Except for a modified injection system through which I can run the truck on LPG. LPG is liquefied petroleum gas which has a high octane rate that goes easy on the engine and is available at an extremely good price over here in Europe. Regular gas is not really an option where I live (near Munich, Southern Germany) due to the mileage of these trucks. Especially if you're a daily commuter.
Anyway, back to the beginning ...

In the past few months I've been thinking hard about a 3rd Gen model (1500 Hemi, QC, 4x4). That's the reason why I'm asking you to share your opinion about the pro and cons of these trucks. I'll only buy one if the new truck is a real enhancement. Maybe someone of you folks has the right pieces of information for me regarding

- Engine (5.9 vs Hemi)? Surely, the 5.9 has much less power, but is the diff really THAT big?
- Transmission? Did they build a new tranny or just made the old one stronger for the hemi beast?
- Usage in daily life: in my case I have to get my firewood myself, so I use my RAM for hauling it from the woods. What I've heard is that the 2nd Gen is a better performer in the backcountry, on upaved roads and offroad in general due to the rigid axle in front. The Hemi is said to be hit the ground easier.
- Wheels: Are the 20" really suitable if I go into the woods? Wouldn't 17" wheels be far better? Moreover, the 20" spare tires are hard to get overseas and are extremely expensive
- how does a 3rd Gen perform on snow?

And if there's anything else I should know, please be so kind to share it with me. This forum is a real blessing, and you guys and girls have helped me out many times when I was just surfing around here as a guest.

Thanks,
Clemens

Old 12-24-2005, 03:56 AM
bmxox
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen? I need some input

the 3rd gen is the first dodge truck i ever owned and so far i love it. i have worked on many of the 2nd gens and i find them to be very reliable, one of my reasons for purchasing the 3rd gen. this will be my first winter with the truck and it only snowed once so far, and in my opinion, any truck is going to handle the same in the snow or the ice depending on the tires its running. i mean most full size trucks are close in size and wieght and therefore handle similar. as far as taking it in the woods with 20's on it, are you driving down the average trail that doesnt have crazy deep puddles or are you mudd bogging every weekend. if its occasionl light trailing then go with the 20s, they look good, but if you plan on getting in the mud get some 17s, theres more options for mudder tires at a cheaper price.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:23 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen? I need some input

For the work that you describe doing with your 2nd Gen Ram,
an upgrade to the 3rd Gen design would not seem to be a good decision.

Without doubt, the 3rd Gen Ram is
quieter,
has a slightly better highway ride
and the steering 'feels' more precise.

Most driving is done in the 1500-3000 rpm range.
At those rpms the "full throttle" torque of a 5.7Hemi is about 15% more
than the older 5.9V8. This is enough to notice at maximum acceleration
but most driving is done at part throttle. At part throttle in practical terms
this just means that you have to open the throttle of the 5.9V8 a little more
to get the same acceleration as a 5.7 Hemi.

Since the cost of fuel is such a big issue where you live,
it might seem that if the 5.7Hemi had dramatically better
fuel economy it would justify the expense of a new truck.

However, in practical terms there does not seem to be much of a fuel
economy difference. The 5.7 Hemi with its twin sparkplugs and revised
water pump drive is probably a little more fuel efficient in terms of
horsepower hours per pound of fuel burned, but the 3rd Gen Rams also
suffer the effects of tigher year 2003+ pollution laws, an aluminum cylinder head,
worse aerodynamics at highway speed and a 545 automatic transmission that
appears to have higher internal friction with its extra planetary gearset.

Net result is that here in the USA 3rd Gen Ram 5.7Hemi Ram owners don't
report better day to day MPG than 1994-2001 Ram owners with the 5.2 or 5.9V8s,
although it is interesting to note that 5.7V8 owners report about the same MPG as
4.7V8 owners whose engines lack the twin sparkplugs.

There is also the 'unknown risk' of how well a 5.7Hemi would respond to the propane
conversion that you have successfully achieved with your 5.9V8. The PCM computer of
the 5.7V8 is much different than the older OBD-II software that runs the 5.9V8. There is
the risk that propane conversion technology doesn't yet 'know' enough about the secret
inner software of the 5.7V8 to get things right.

If I were you I would not even think about a 3rd Gen with the 5.7 but would wait a few years and hope that the Cummins 3rd Gen Ram will improve enough to justify a new purchase, perhaps one that will use liquified or compressed natural gas like the Cummins powered buses that New York City just bought.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen? I need some input