Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Looking at used Ram 1500s....what should I look for?...tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:52 PM
AntonioB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at used Ram 1500s....what should I look for?...tips?

I'm looking for a used RAM 1500 for a second vehicle.
I've never purchased a Ram before so I'll need some expert advice from all you
Ram owner/users out there.
Right now I'm looking at the 1995-1999 Rams- 4x4

Any things I should be aware of when test driving, examining engines, checking suspension components, drivetrains.....etc.....?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Tempsho
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking at used Ram 1500s....what should I look for?...tips?

Things you should look out for:
- plenum gasket: The only way you will know if its gone or not is if you take off the tb and the intake and look inside for any oil blow back. Ask if it has been replaced or not.
- steering box and the pitman arm: If its leaking, that is a bad sign
- Wheel bearings: ask if they have been replaced recently or not.
- Check the condition of the track bar: If there is alot of play when turning the wheels side to side then it will have to be replace
- TRANNY!: I have heard of many horror stories about the trannies going in Dodge's. If it hasent been done for a while, and you do end up buying an automatic Ram, change the fluid and the filter. Make sure there is a cooler installed as well. (If you can buy a 5 speed)
- See what kind of maintenance has been done to the rest truck over the years. If it runs solid, and has been properly maintained, then you should be good to go.

Im not an expert on this by any stretch, im just going by memory and from what other problems I have seen people. Good luck!