Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Rear end gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Sam!
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear end gears

My Truck Is sitting on 35's with 3.55 gears i believe and at 65mph it's doing about 1800rpm(way to low) I talked to a gear vendor and he recommended 4.56's to regain fuel economy and set the powerband closer to normal, I also plan on towing a toyhauler in the future. Now i'm searching for the best price on gears and may even do the locker in the rear. any tips on a good deal???

Old 01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
ross944
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Sam!

I also plan on towing a toyhauler in the future. Now i'm searching for the best price on gears and may even do the locker in the rear. any tips on a good deal???

Too bad you are in CA, a guy in Dallas is doing gear swaps for a pretty decet price. hes listed on another dodge site that is apparently forbidden to type out.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:48 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

You can't have both worlds. Assuming everything is stock, going to taller gears will improve take off and towing/hauling but will reduce highway mileage and top end speed. By top end speed I mean 100 mph not 70-80. But actually it will only decrease on top end as the engine exceeds it's power curve which it will do faster with taller gears. So (hypothethically) if you run 100 mph at 3000 rpm's with the 3:55's, with 4:10's you might run 100 mph at 4000 rpm's. IMO, you can't go wrong with 4:10's for day to day use and there will stil be plenty of passing power as long as your engine can keep up with the demand. I'm very seriously thinking of 285's to 305's with 4:56's in the truck but that will be down the road. My Jeep will be regeard first. Found a guy who will do front and rear for $500 if I bring him the parts.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with stump-breaker that you can't have both...right now...on a Dodge.

But everyone should press their local dealerships to get DaimlerChrysler to offer 6, 7, and 8 speed automatics (or sequential manual like DSG, Autostik, SMT and so forth)

You would be doing Dodge a favor by loudly complaining on this.
It is for their own good.

Dodge and all of Chrysler needs to erase their bad reputation for transmissions
by offering durable, reliable, transmissions that shift just right and have enough gears set at the right ratios to be right for both acceleration and 'best' highway cruise MPG.

As ex president of both Freightliner Trucks and AMG,
current CEO Dieter Zetsche would respond to this
if his customers raise enough ruckus
and threatened his bottom line DC profits.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:17 PM
ross944
Veteran

yeah chevy has their 6speed auto allison trans now, why hasnt dodge competed with that?

Old 02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can have both.... up to 65-70MPH... this is a proven FACT! Just ask those who have installed the gears and you will get the FACTs.... anyone who is giving you advice without having FIRST HAND knowlage of what they are talking about is just giving you an OPINION.... Get the FACTs from those who have done gears in a 3rd Gen Ram!!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: Rear end gears