Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

What are your thoughts on the 07 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:13 PM
sandiegohemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your thoughts on the 07 Silverado?

Just wondering what you guys thought of some of the rumors flying around the 07 Silverado. I imagine it will look somewhat like the 07 Tahoe - which means plain. But the engines are supposed to get more power. I've seen some Chevy forums claiming 380 hp from the 5.3 and 410 from the 6.0, but I HIGHLY doubt GM would use that kinda power with fuel efficiency issues. However, I can imagine the 6.0 HO being more prominently featured in the lineup.

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:30 AM
prerunner
Captain
Default RE: What are your thoughts on the 07 Silverado?

Its not a Dodge

Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When the 1994 Dodge Ram came out it was the best aerodynamic shaped pickup truck ever sold up to that time.

But the 2004+ Dodge Ram with the Hemi engine and the more powerful Cummins has been a sales success for Chrysler - it has grabbed 'Market Share' away from both GM and Ford.

Within 6 months GM is supposed to bring to market their new design pickups - which judging from the 2006 Tahoe which claims a Cd=0.363 in their press release will be the best aerodynamics yet.

I would guess the GM new design pickup will have a slightly worse Cd=0.38 because of the open bed, but that beats the Cd=0.4 of the Nissan Titan and is way better than the Cd=0.528 of a Dodge Ram 2500 as listed at the official DaimlerChrysler media website.

GM has followed a strategy with all their engines of raising the compression ratio for better 'daily driving MPG' while having to slightly de-rate the maximum horsepower so that the engine can burn 89 octane gasoline.

Lately GM has decided to continue this de-rate but to also slightly increase the cubic inches to make up for it, so that if Dodge has a 5.7V8 they will offer a 6.2 V8, etc. If you combine this strategy with the right gear ratios in a 6 speed automatic transmission the Chevy can beat the Dodge in both acceleration and MPG.

Will this GM strategy win back market truck market share from Chrysler?
Who knows, but if it doesn't GM is going bankrupt.

Ford strategy is to make the insides of their pickups like luxury cars.

Toyota could have used 2 strategies:

1. To apply the Lexus RH300 Hybrid system to the existing Tundra which would have made it both the fastest accelerating and best MPG pickup truck.
2. To create another large blunt & heavy 'wannabe' Ford SuperDooty at a new factory in Texas.

They chose #2

Old 01-16-2006, 12:59 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

You guys have to forgive the ignorance of my youth - I'm only 24, but does you guys see an end in sight for the horspower wars? I know that federal emissions and gas prices killed the muscle car era, but I can't see that happening any time soon. Even though gas is $2.68 a gallon (at least here in San Diego), I still see new trucks and SUV's on the road.

I am sure you guys have more experience and knowledge when it comes to the auto industry. But growing up, I remember when the F150 and Silverado owned the HP wars with 260 hp and 280 hp (mid to late 90's). Heck, when I was in high school I wanted a Ford Ranger because it had 160 hp. Today, the Frontier is pushing 265 hp. Now, we want 300, 345, 400, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a larger Hemi in my truck pushing 400 HP and 400+ lbs/torque. BUT, there comes a point when its just a ridiculous amount.

How do you see the "new" horsepower wars playing out?

I definitely think Dodge needs to add a larger Hemi to the lineup - especially for the 2500's. The 5.7 is great for the half tons and cars, but it doesn't compete with the V10 from Ford or the 454 from Chevy. Now, I would NEVER buy a large gas engine for a 2500 - I'd spend the extra and get the Cummins. BUT, some people want a gas engine.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the 07 Silverado?