Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Installing aftermarket Clearance Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:45 AM
gatewood1977
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing aftermarket Clearance Lights

Hello all. I just installed aftermarket clearance lights on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4 door 1 ton, which was tons of fun (sarcasm). I am needing help here with the power.
I have everything wired up properly and just finished putting my cieling back in and have the ground wire grounded properly and have the power wire running down the sides behind the "oh Crap Handles" and out under the dash for easy access. I want to wire this to the parking lights wire but do not know which wire is for that and do not want to run through my firewall to the lights and go that far to do it. I would like to stay within the vehicle cab. Please help me with my dilema.
Thanks, Jeremy

Old 02-17-2006, 04:36 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Installing aftermarket Clearance Lights

on an 03 the easyset is to run through the firewall (the switch is negitave oporated i belive but i dont rember for shure) then splice them into your park lights if its an auto there is a hole alredy through the firewall with a plastic cover in it just drill a small hole in it to run your wire through

also is it a 1500(1/2 ton) or a 1 ton (3500)

Old 02-17-2006, 06:52 AM
gatewood1977

Thanks for the reply! I will end up doing that now. I see the small plug there on the firewall and I think I may have to remove the front drivers side light to do this also. I will do this later in the afternoon though...kinda late right now. I will add some pics of my truck when it is done with all the lighting.
Thanks again and I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:15 PM
gatewood1977

Ok....Now...How do I get to the wires for the headlights so I can tap the parking light wire? I just tried to take off the headlights but no luck cause it is too much of a tight space. There are 2 10mm bolts that are very accesable and 2 screws holding the rubber molding but there are other bolts that I cannot get too. Is there an easier way to do this?

Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes there are 2 bolts on the side and there is 1 bolt under the light between it and the facia check out the begining of this thred it tells you how to teke out your light (you only need the first cupple steps) https://dodgeforum.com/m_304767/tm.htm

Old 02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
gatewood1977

Ok...I am not going to go to the headlights to get to the parking lights. I blew about 8 fuses and I found out why. The diagram for the installation was wrong with the wiring. Said to ground the black wire and the red wire is the hot wire that goes to the power. NOT RIGHT! After 8 fuses, I decided that I should try and ground the red and use the black for the hot. That Worked! So Now I am just going through a swtch. I had to modify an in-line-switch also due to blowing all those daggone fuses. So now they work properly even though I have to use a switch. Thanks for all the help again. I will put photos up soon.

Quick Reply: Installing aftermarket Clearance Lights