Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Newbie Needs Help With Modific

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Smitty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needs Help With Modific

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=blue size=4><FONT size=3>Ok. Here a challenge for someone. I want to get more performance out of my completely stock standard shifting 96 Dodge Ram V6 (80,000 miles). I know I know the first step would probably be buying a truck with a V8 but that aint gonna happen. The V6 is paid for. I'm not looking to go super fast but would like to improve the performance <U>as much as humanly possible</U> with the engine I have. Anyonewant to take this on? Where do I start and in what order should I make improvments?</FONT></FONT></P>

Old 11-12-2003, 04:48 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

Ok, start with:

Cold Air intake (K&N)

Performance exhaust (magnaflow)

Exhaust Headers (edelbrock)

Throtle Body (Fastman Performance

Mopar PCM

Accel Ignition kit

Transgo Shift kit

1.7 Roller Rockers (big low end gain)

these should get you up to the area of the 360ci motor give or take a few ponies. and will run you 1500-2000 depending on where you go

Old 11-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Smitty

I am new to most of this terminology and don't know alot about engines and performance so sorry if some of these questionseem elementary to you.</P>

The Mopar PCM--what exactly is this and what does it do?</P>

The exhaust system--stay with a single exhuast or go to dual? And why?</P>

What will the exhaust headers do for me?</P>

Explain what the throtle body does.</P>

What is the shift kit going to do for me? I have a standard not an automatic. Does this make a differenct?</P>

And lastly--which of the recommended modifications "if any" can I perform myself?</P>

Also am I correct inassuming I should follow your list of things to do in that particular oder?</P>

Sorry about all the questions but a guy has to learn this stuff somewhere.</P>

Old 11-12-2003, 07:29 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

Hey, not a problem, we are all new at one point or another arnt we?? LOL

The Mopar PCM--what exactly is this and what does it do?

The PCM (or Powertrain Control Module) is the brains of the Truck. It takes readings from various sensors all over the motor and exhaust componants and make appropriate adjustments to keep the truck running at peek efficency. The Performance PCM does the same things the stock one does but with different settings. The Performance PCM has different air/fuel ratio settings and different shift points as well as different timing. This is located on the firewall on the passanger side. There may be a cover over it, but you should see 3 groups of wires going into it. This can be changed verry easily!

Oh, for this mod you will also need a 180 degree t-stat, and you have to run premium fuel...but it gives you better mpg too

The exhaust system--stay with a single exhuast or go to dual? And why?

I would stay with a single system...no need going true duals unless you are supercharged. Your truck should already have a 2.5 inch pipe and if its in good shape I would keep it and just throw on a performance muffler. If you go to large on your exhaust you will loose back preasure. This will cause you to loose some low end power.

What will the exhaust headers do for me?

Headers help your engine breathe better. The easier it is for the motor to push the exhaust out the less power it is consuming itself. I set of headers will get you 15-25 rwhp easily!

Explain what the throtle body does.

The TB sits ontop of the motor right where a Carborator would be, and has a few jobs. The TB controls the amount of air going into the engine. Second it houses 3 sensors...the MAP (manafold absolute preasure) which is in the front of the TB, controls the idle; the AIS motor, located on the back of the TB controls the idel under different loads (like if the a/c was on or not), and the TPS (throtle possistion sensor) on the drivers side of the TB, tells the PCM how far down your foot is pushing the gas pedal and then uses this info to realease the correct amount of fuel into the chambers.

Another easy driveway mod.

What is the shift kit going to do for me? I have a standard not an automatic. Does this make a differenct?

This will make the shifts quicker and firmer on auto trannies...you need not worry LOL

And lastly--which of the recommended modifications "if any" can I perform myself?

They can all be done in the driveway provided your experiance and tools on hand. The only one that I wont do myself is the Roller rocker (ned to be set PERFECTLY, or big problems). The two that would be the hardest to do is the headers and exhaust. everything else is easy driveway stuff...though, some complications could arise (like always) LOL

Also am I correct in assuming I should follow your list of things to do in that particular oder?

they do not HAVE to be done in any order but yes, you will see better gains if you do it in this order...the final out come will be the same....but mods work off one another.

examples....you do the cold air intake to get more air in...that air need some where to go so you get a hi-flow muffler

the TB lets more air in, but now you are getting tomuch air and are loosing low end....so you need to get that exhaust out faster...HEADERS!!!!

Say you got the headers first...yeah, you will see gains...but you will see more with a TB.

hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions!!
<edited><editID>[)oclgefre4k</editID><editDate>37937.6892592593</editDate></edited>

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Help With Modific