Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 11:50 PM
nemar1234
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

I know how dodges are known to have problems with their transmissions. I was wondering if you knew any warning signs that tell you that your tranny is going. I have a friend who recently lost his just before he was planning on trading in. I just dont want that happening to me. Thanks

Old 05-31-2004, 01:46 AM
B12Teuton
Professional
Default RE: transmission problems

Well, on Friday I bought a new truck: 2004 1500 Ram QC HEMI LARAMIE. Had 5 miles on it. By the time I got it home, it had 25 miles on it, the check engine light (MIL) was on and the tranny was stuck in what seemed like 2nd or 3rd gear.
Needless to say I was a little upset. I parked it for an hour and then went out again.... still stuck in a tall gear. Just would not shift down into first... or second even when I manually put it in '1'.
Yesterday morning it worked fine again, but the MIL was still on, so I drove back to the dealer. 20 miles and it shifted fine! Service writer came out with the diagnostic machine and reset the light. Diagnostic said something about an overdrive sensor. I got to the end of the dealer lot and went to pull out into traffic... tranny is in 3rd gear again and the truck hardley moved!! MIL comes back on.[:@]
At this point I'm pissed. Took it back and they said they would check it out and call me.
Tomorrow is Memorial Day so I certainly won't hear anything before Tuesday... much less see my truck. I know this issue isn't my dealer's fault, but I am now a little worried about this truck.

I didn't even have a chance to take a picture of it before it had to go in for a tranny problem!!!!!

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this issue? I've read some complaints about the new-for-2004 "tow/haul" mode that replaced the usual O/D Off.

Any help or advice would be appreciated for this first time Dodge owner.
TIA

Old 05-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Viper_iii

So Far I've really beat up my Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab and switch it in and out of tow-haul and it seems to be doing really well so far....

Kicks in the dunes I take it in and it pulls my boat like a champ!...

I hope My tranny holds...

That will seriously **** me off!!!!!

Old 05-31-2004, 12:25 PM
B12Teuton
Professional

A large part of my drive home (before the MIL came on) was in stop and go traffic. I wonder if this first real drive the tranny experienced somehow screwed it up. I know some modern tranny's will "learn" your driving style.... ?

Old 05-31-2004, 08:34 PM
Viper_iii

In comparison within no more than 200 miles on my new Hemi QC 4x4 I took it immediately out on the dunes and made sure it could stand the same beating as my old 92' Silverado Z71.

A standard Dodge I've noticed had less power than my 92' (92' has several rebuilds on the tranny last one with upgrades)

The Hemi I made sure even with 20's would pull large vehicles out of entirely stuck positions.

I run everything in 1st gear while off roading typically so the tranny won't shift.

Both Trucks do really well.. however the Hemi with its extra torque and POWER by far exceeded my expectations

Older Dodges my Z71 typically blows away however it is beaten with the new power house.

I still like both trucks though.

It does seem to me that Dodge still hasn't worked out all their tranny issues. Is yours a 4x4 or 2wd? Maybe only the 4x4 tranny is stonger than the typical dodge?

I know my local dealer is crappy.... that almost made me buy a chevy.

If I have any problems I will most likely drive 30-50 Miles to another dealership.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:18 PM
B12Teuton
Professional

Service manager just called. The tranny tech. says it's a bad solenoid. They orderd a new one and I "should" have the truck back tomorrow.

I just hope this new solenoid lasts longer than the 20 miles I got out of the first one![&:]
Truck had 50 miles on it when I brought it back.

Old 06-18-2004, 09:58 PM
jason2774

same thing happened to me - 1000 miles on my 04 hemi quad cab when the mil came on and the tranny went crazy. took it to the dealer, they replaced the selenoid. it was fine for about 45 minutes. going home, another mil light and overdirve disappeared again. last i saw of my new truck was on the back of a tow truck on the way back to the dealer. hopefully for the last time. Guess i just got one of the lemons.

Quick Reply: transmission problems