Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

what stores the mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:49 AM
chad301
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what stores the mileage

I have a 99 1500 sport and the brain box crapped out on me. I have found a couple at salvage yards but I am wondering about the mileage. I have been told that the mileage is stored in the ecm, the instrument cluster, the tranny computer and another computer under the dash. Just wanted to know if this is accurate and if the VIN number is stored in the brainbox?

Old 11-19-2003, 11:29 AM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what stores the mileage

You have to take it toa dealership... the newPCM will give weird codes otherwise. The VIN and Mileage is in the PCM (Chryslers don't have ECM's) and the dealership will be able to program it for you. You can likely buy it at the salvage yard, but it will need to be set up for your car... and the only placeI know that can do that is the dealer.

Hope that helps... but on your model truckthe mileage and VIN arein the PCM... not in the instrument cluster, the tranny computeror another computer under the dash...

~Amanda <edited><editID>Dodgegirl19</editID><editDate>37944.3556134259</editDate></edited>

Quick Reply: what stores the mileage