Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Losing Backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Matrix04
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing Backpressure

I recently put a new magnaflow muffer on my truck, and took out the resonator behind the muffler and spliced in a piece to make it just a normal tailpipe. The pipe sizes are still the same as stock, 3 inch, and really the only difference is the muffler swap and getting rid of that old resonator. Is it possible that i have lost backpressure and thus get lower mileage and power? Its gone down a little but i attribute that to me loving the sound of the new exhaust. My truck is in my sig. Any advice would be great!

Old 06-30-2004, 12:24 AM
SRT 8 guy
Professional
Default RE: Losing Backpressure

prob just your right foot.

[&:]

Old 06-30-2004, 01:00 AM
BigDave
Professional

Since my truck only had 600 miles when I installed my catback, I can't really comment losing power with a free flowing exhaust. I did notice an improvement when I added the CAI at around 2000 miles. I assume those mod work together, more air in means more air out.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:26 AM
Matrix04
Rookie

is there a way to test backpressure...and if there is...is there a way to increase it while keeping my magnaflow muffler?

Old 06-30-2004, 11:42 AM
billyd12
Professional

your stock exhuast pipe size is 3 inches? wierd.
mine's 2.5 but i put 3inch up there now... i also noticed a little low end power loss...
im going to add a tailpipe soon or else just a 3inch turn down....

but then again we are talking about 2 different engines.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:59 AM
DallasRam

ORIGINAL: Matrix04

I recently put a new magnaflow muffer on my truck, and took out the resonator behind the muffler and spliced in a piece to make it just a normal tailpipe. The pipe sizes are still the same as stock, 3 inch, and really the only difference is the muffler swap and getting rid of that old resonator. Is it possible that i have lost backpressure and thus get lower mileage and power? Its gone down a little but i attribute that to me loving the sound of the new exhaust. My truck is in my sig. Any advice would be great!
I feel that I have the same problem. I don't know if you guys know but the Dallas area has recieved about 16 inches of rain this month. So I've been taking it easy on speed and the get up and go for safety reasons. On my way to work today I never got past 60 and 2000 rpm. it's still an unanswered ????????

Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
rb185afm

When you open up exhaust flow you will lose some backpressure. This takes away some TQ and HP in the low rpm's were most people drive. But it will increase HP in the higher rpm's. So you actually gained HP but you need to rev it to get it. But I cant see you losing to much backpressure as long as you still have cats as they are a huge bottle neck.

Quick Reply: Losing Backpressure