Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

!!!NEW CATBACK!!! AMAZING!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!NEW CATBACK!!! AMAZING!!!

Oh man, after spending my evening yesterday trying to install my new muffler, I went to the shop and had it done. Flowmaster 40 series with some custom pipes that sweep out to the side before the rear wheel and a beefy 4" chrome pipe.

Damn this thing is amazing, sounds better than I had ever expected and looks pretty darn good also.

I will try to get some pictures soon.

Mike.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional
Default RE: !!!NEW CATBACK!!! AMAZING!!!

I forgot to fix my profile, here we go.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:36 PM
ditchdoc
Rookie

Mike
If you don't mine me asking how much did that set you back?Also how good did it sound.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional

No problem, the muffler I found on eBay new, 2.5" inlet/outlet, OC. that was 39.95 plus 14 shipping, so I got that for 54 bucks, which is cheaper than anywhere else. Just go on eBay and search "flowmaster 40". Then the shop charged $45 for the 4" chrome tip, $24 for the pipe and $65 for labor, and thats everything welded with some kind of warrenty also(I didn't check it out yet) I did it at Merlins. Then I got a discount since I work with my dad and their company always gets their stuff done at that place.

The sound, I don't have much experience with sounds but from what I hear on mine I love. Inside, when you are not acellerating or moving, it sound sort of like a sub constantly pumping out a steady bass sound. Then when you hit the throttle it goes away and you hear a light rumble. Personally I don't mind the inside noise at all.

Then when you fire it up it makes that roaring throaty sound. Idleing its the same throaty sound. Then when you accelerate hard you hear that go into a deep aggressive roar and its nice and loud. Then when the rev's go down it makes that sound like a harley davidson does but not as loud, you probably know what I mean.

I would have to say that it is similar but not the same as the one on the website under the 40 series.

But overall I really love this thing.

Mike.

Old 06-30-2004, 10:39 PM
RuckstaR
Professional

Is it 2.5 SINGLE out or duel? What did your mechanic say about exiting the exhaust before the rear wheel (ie. does the corrosiveness of the exhaust create havoc on your rims or wheel?) It sounds like you have the same muff as me, and the same exit setup as I wanted before I read that exiting before the rear wheel was a bad idea. I still would like to do it that way if it does not pose huge problems. Either way i have got to get thsi resonator off so I can really hear my 40.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:30 AM
Mikeg1005
Professional

The guys at the shop asked me what I was looking for and they said they could do just about anything, and I have the single out so I figured since it would be unique and pretty BA so I put it right before the rear tire, about 4 inches up from the fenderwall starting, and at a little bit of an angle. He didn't say anything about about it. I don't think it can cause much of a problem because the exhaust is nowhere close to the tire, nor do the exhausts flow into, or on the path with the tire.

What did you read about this style of exhaust? I am just wondering because I would want to know since I have it.

Mike.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:11 AM
RuckstaR
Professional

Well there was a post on here discussing dumps and how they are bad because the corrosive exhaust does not get sent direct behind the vehicle, then it was mentioned that Ford had to do a recall on all of their trucks with exhausts exiting before the rear wheel because the exhaust corroded the wheel and caused it to sieze up. I wanted to exit before the rear wheel too to make it a little louder and more original but now I dunno.

I was thinkin about having two angle cut chrome tubes turned on their side angling backward and placed before the wheel as is crappily illustrated below.

|
|
|
==/ <---Angled
=/ <---Tips
|
T
I
R
E
|

Old 07-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Mikeg1005
Professional

I was thinking about the dual tip but then i figured I have a single outlet and I don't want to pay for another tip or the labor for the Y pipe I would need. So I stuck with one, it looks good and its somewaht hidden which I like.

But ya go for the dual, under a slight angle backwards and probably lined up flat at the ends somewhat at the same distance out as the body, that looks badass, try something like 3", 4" would be too big for dual, IMO of course.

Send pictures if you get it done.

But I wouldn't worry about the exhaust, it doesn't get anywhere close to the tire really, and if I'm not wrong, then ford has theirs on the Lightning in molding kind of under the bed, so thats closer to everything, unlike mine that sticks out..

Mike.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:44 AM
dodgeram56
Rookie

well i was the one who said it and i went to a local shop to get a similar design not exactly mine was right infront of the rear tire maybe that made a diff ( i havent seen the ford trucks that were recalled) the owner told me about that (hes a big ford man so i trusted he knew what he was talking about) and then later that day i told my boss about what the owner of the shop said and he knew exactly what i was talking about and told his friend

so thats my 2 cents

Old 07-01-2004, 12:49 PM
billyd12
Professional

can't be that bad, i gotta hi flow cat (magnaflow) then 4 foot of 3inch pipe straight back to a 40 series 3inch single in/out,
and then it comes straight out of that 40 series. its about a foot past the ext cab. it actually blows right onto my passengers side rear shock... i like the sound it's extremely deep, and not raspy. all i'm going to do to finish it off is a 3inch turn down so it doesn't blow exhuast on the shock.

Quick Reply: !!!NEW CATBACK!!! AMAZING!!!